Release Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

export/import instances strategy

• 1.  export/import instances strategy

Posted 07-22-2015 05:46 AM

Hi all,

We're working with a Testing instance as well as a productive instance of Release Automation.

Testing is used for testing new Release Automation versions as well as process desing.

The only suitable way to get process-changes from test to production seems to rebuild it by hand in the production.

Note: speaking from a 5.0.2 point of view. No experience yet with 5.5 I am aware that there are some changes but right now 5.0.2 is given.

Exporting and importing seems to take more time then rebuilding.

after reading the "CA Tuesday Tip: How to Handle a Hung Import (https://communities.ca.com/docs/DOC-231155329?q=import)" I was a bit shocked because at this time the export has a size of 81MB while 5-10 is concidered as large and may take 24 hrs....

So basically I am wondering if anyone has a good strategy to handle more Nolio instances as well as multiple processes.

Using other tools as well we're wondering if it possible to design something like multitenancy for Release Automation.

And if there is a way how to find out what status my import has at the moment or how to speed things up I'd like to know about that as well.

Regards,

Max

• 2.  Re: export/import instances strategy

Posted 07-23-2015 05:14 PM

81MB?  Wow, that's enormous!!  In 5.02, even?  Honestly, I'm completely shocked that it's that large, Max.

5.5 does fix the import/export issue regarding the ROC, but with an application that large, I don't know if it will work!

How many components/server types/published processes do you have?  One of my customers has an extremely complicated application, and the 5.0.1 export is only 4mb.....

• 3.  Re: export/import instances strategy

Posted 07-28-2015 03:48 AM

Yep, 81MB...exported again to make sure but it's realy that huge.

However after 5 days I aborted the import from one 5.0.2 instance to another

components are 13, server types are 6, published processes are huge in number... I believe they might be a big problem.

What makes an export huge?

Is there a way to see the status of an import? Any Logfile or maybe an import via CLI?

• 4.  Re: export/import instances strategy

Posted 07-28-2015 04:35 AM

Hi,

You can check the status of Imports and Exports in the nolio_export.log file which you will find on the NAC in the logs folder this should give you some indication as to how the import is progressing. I've never heard of an import taken so long so i would expect to see some indication in the logs.

In 5.5.2 the import and Export now run completely on the NAC and not using ASAP so at the start of the import the import file is copied to the NAC and the import runs as a background task so we find this resolves a lot of import / export issues . The same log files is used for 5.5.2

I would be interested to hear if you see any errors in the import log for the import that took a long time, i hope this helps.

Regards

Keith

• 5.  Re: export/import instances strategy

Posted 07-28-2015 04:43 AM

Hi Keith,

so thats the thing. I heard about the nolio_export.log but there is nothing inside while the import is running.

I get

2015-07-28 09:26:32,633 [ActiveApplicationContextManager-1] INFO  (com.nolio.platform.server.dataservices.services.exportimport.ExportImportServiceImpl:79) - ExportImport service started...

but thats it.

Also for the long lasting import there was nothing in the log except this message. This is also why I was wondering if there might be another way to import.

Regards,

Max

• 6.  Re: export/import instances strategy

Posted 07-28-2015 05:05 AM

Hi,

It looks like the import didn't even start, it would be good to try the import again and monitor the log. This log wraps when it gets to a certain size so when monitoring the log if the update stops sometimes this is caused by the wrapping process.

There's no other import mechanism with 5.0.2 so the best approach to troubleshooting is to watch the import log on the NAC and also check the nolio_app_allo.log and  nolio_profiling on the ASAP machine when you start the import. Make sure ASAP has a good reliable network connection to the NAC as network timeouts can cause import issues.  The ASAP logs should indicate how the import is progressing from an ASAP perspective and the NAC log will show the import from a server perspective.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Keith

• 7.  Re: export/import instances strategy

Posted 08-14-2015 05:52 AM

Hi all,

I imported sucessfully. It seems that the standard max-heap-size of asap.jnpl is just to small for an import of that size.

I am still wondering what makes the export so huge?

How can I find out?

Regards,

Max