Release Automation

View Only

CA Release Automation Office Hours Transcript for August 2014

• 1.  CA Release Automation Office Hours Transcript for August 2014

Posted Aug 29, 2014 02:21 PM

Mary Greening - CA to Everyone:             Hello Everyone! Thank you for joining. You can begin asking questions any time.

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            In 5.0 What is the logical and functional difference between pre-deployment step and post-deployment step?

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            We have two types of pre-deployment steps- one for the deployment plan, which is usually used for assigning the artifacts and the model of the release and another one for the environment one to configure environment sensitive data

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            the post-deployment is to perform operations that should happen after the deployment finished - for example running tests to assure the success of the release

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            so pre-deployment is to configure dynamically the release and the post-deployment is to perform operations after the deployment has finished

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            What protocol are we using while transferring artifacts to Execution server and to Agents in ROC?

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            the above is especially wrt 5.0 distribution of artifact package in advance pre running deployment

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            We're using our propriety protocol for artifacts transfer. the protocol was designed to support large files and optimize the transfer

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            In 5.0, we allow artifacts dist. prior to the release which is extremely important for our enterprise customers

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            that allow you to push the files before the deployment happens so you don't waste precious deployment time on transferring files that can happen before that

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            @Uri: thanks it gives better understanding

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            Can we made a centralized Active MQ server installation shared across all the NES's and NAC?

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            We can't centralized the ActiveMQ installation because we need to have a dedicated broker for each instance, to improve performance

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            @Uri: ok

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            What will happen if I have an agent which in its nimi having two supernode A and B. It starts the execution of a process with Supernode A but during process execution when agent doing a job supernode A dies. Will Supernode B will be able to resume the work?

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            Yes

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            once the agent recognizer that supernode A is not responsing he knows how to move to the next one

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            @Uri: will it do in the mean time process is in running state or the current process will fail and I have to start again

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            No, it will not fail. it will continue to work with the new supernode

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            @Uri: thanks

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            In Release 5.0 how can I find how many messages are currently in my ActiveMQ between NAC->NES? Or How can I verify that the subscriber or producer are in good status?

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            We have JMX that provide all the ActiveMQ questions

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            or should operations

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            Do we need execution servers to be connected to use application parameter across flows/action running on different server type assigned with agents connected to different execution servers?

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            If you want to pass parameters from one machine to another, they need to be connected via NES, either directly or indirectly

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            @Uri: can you explain the mean of indirectly, I am assuming it is via NAC

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            No, it is not via NAC.  The NES can be connected via a third NES

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            @Uri: ok so always via NES

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            yes

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            How are parameter values getting resolve? Especially the one set at run time across different execution servers? Is NAC responsible for doing so or execution servers?

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            We have a sophisticated mechanism that knows how to route parameter value requests from one machine to another

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            We have a functionality of validation check? What does it check in as validation?

Kaj Wierda, PM CA Technologies to Everyone:   @ Saurabh: validation check will verify if all parameters have values assigned and also if all targeted agents are online

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            @Kaj: but validation is done before execution then why it check for agents status

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            @Kaj: and it looks like @ time of publishing a process

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            any specific reason for checking that?

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            We validate whether machines associated to the deployment are ready and responding because you want to make sure they are all online before doing the deployment

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            @Uri: ok, it’s clear make sense

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            Can we change the retry number and time to connect to another supernode less than 14 minutes? Is there any impact or consideration related to this change?

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            above is in relation to agents

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            Yes you can do that

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            @Uri: thanks

Rik Burgering to Everyone:          We saw that less than 2 minutes caused stability issues - is there a minimal value (number of minutes) you recommend?

Rik Burgering to Everyone:          2 minutes or less...

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            It depends on your topology, I suggest we take that offline and provide the right best practice

Rik Burgering to Everyone:          okay

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            Can we use Application imported from old version i.e. 4.7.1 into higher version i.e. 5.0?

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            Currently you can't do that, due to the major changes in the model

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            @URI: Thanks

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            In new ROC I saw something Action Management? Can we use it to upload actions pack? What is the difference in two tabs it show available action packs and installed action packs?

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            Yes, we can use it to upload a package

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            The 'available actions' tab is the one you have on your system.  The 'available actions' is the packs in the main repository that you can install into your system

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            @Uri: the main repository that you can install into your system? Is this the repository we install during Nolio installation?

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            Yes it is the same one

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            @ Uri: Does it means in repository there can be more action then in my current Nolio system

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            @Saurabh- Can you please articulate into the details?

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            @Uri: In ROC action management in our Environment we see it shows you have say 40+ available action packs and 12+ installed action pack? So confusion is do my system has currently only 12 installed and I can install more from repository?

Scheiner to Everyone:   @Saurabh  - that is correct. Currently your system has 12 packages and you can also install more packages from the main, CA repository

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            @Uri: CA repository is not the nexus repository

Saurabh Jain to Everyone:            correct me if I am getting it wrong

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            @Saurabh - No, that is the public one

Uri Scheiner to Everyone:            where actions are being stored

Jain to Everyone:             ok

Mary Greening - CA to Everyone:             That's all for today everyone! Thank for you joining Office Hours. The transcript will be published in the community message board.

Rik Burgering to Everyone:          Thank you!