Release Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Release Operations Center Passwords/Encryption

Posted Jun 09, 2014 10:25 AM

So, I'm trying to use RoC (in CA Lisa version 4.7.1.237), I've create a template and run it thorugh a few times, manually. I now have to hand this off to the team that are going to run this inanger (segregation of duties etc etc).

As well as creating a manifest file, I've hand cranked a bunch of application parameters; which include user credentails to perform certain actions/processes due to nolio agents being installed as local system accounts. Stuff like

distrbuting files/folders around multiple servers.

Stopping/starting services which are owned by specific service accounts, that I nolio doenst have the privileges to access.

So, creating user credentials and passwords in the template, looks good, but it doestn appear to transfer the passwords to the "release". As everytime I create and run a release, I have to re-enter the passwords (it fails when I forget). I cant embed login/passwords into the process as they are different for every environment, I cant use a manifest file, because the passwords cant be stored in plain text,  template properties doesnt have any way of creating types of paramters, so you're stuck with putting passwords in plain text, which means I cant use that (due to security). I therefore have to enter the password in every flaming process that requries it, for every release.

The only viable option appears to be a user authentication loop everytime I need to login as the account, and force whoever is running the release to re-enter the credentials and password, as the deployment proceeds.

I figure I must be missing something here, because this appears to be a fundamental restriction.....I want to create a release, and run without having to have the user enter anything.....zero touch deployment.

Anyone of you nolio gurus got any bright ideas?

• 2.  RE: [CA Release Automation General Discussion] Release Operations Center Pa
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 09, 2014 10:43 AM
    In the Studio, you can override Application parameters in each environment. Go to the environments tab and set your values for each environment in the parameter browser.

• 3.  RE: [CA Release Automation General Discussion] Release Operations Center Pa

Posted Jun 10, 2014 10:14 AM
    Tom_Kouhsari:
    In the Studio, you can override Application parameters in each environment. Go to the environments tab and set your values for each environment in the parameter browser.

So, even if I have identified a parameter as "user input" earlier in the lifecycle; if i change that at the environment paramters browser to "internal" and make it static, the environment setting will override any values presented (or not) within the RoC Release application parameters when it is run? 

• 4.  RE: [CA Release Automation General Discussion] Release Operations Center Pa

Posted Jun 10, 2014 10:51 AM

I'll amswer my own question after hacking around with a test action/process/release

As long as the appliciation parameter is not mapped to a template parameter it would appear that setting application parameters will be adopted by a release when created and then run :O)

thanks Tom for your assitance