Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Update Lookup Values from Outside Clarity

Posted Sep 25, 2020 10:48 AM
    I am looking for a way to update Lookup values from outside of Clarity.  Is there another way to do this other than XOG?  Perhaps a Rest API or updating an internal database?  I would appreciate any thoughts.  Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Update Lookup Values from Outside Clarity

Posted Sep 25, 2020 11:22 AM
    What type of lookup?

A static one ; XOG would be the way.

A dynamic (NSQL) one ; that would have lots of options as you can conceivably base the query behind it to pull data from "anywhere" (even directly in real-time from an external system if that is what you want and could get it performant enough).
    Personally I'd have thought a local custom table in the Clarity database to hold items that you update (however you want) from the other system on periodic basis would be the way to go - the NSQL in the dynamic lookup just querying that custom table as part of its logic. You could cope with "deleted values" in that NSQL too.

• 3.  RE: Update Lookup Values from Outside Clarity

Posted Sep 28, 2020 08:44 AM
    It is currently a static lookup but can be changed if it gives me more flexibility.  If I understand it correctly to do the dynamic lookup I would probably need to build a custom object right?  Ultimately I want a dropdown attribute on the project to drive the results in a dropdown attribute on a task.  Both of these will be driven by lookups that are populated from Jira (but we do not have an integration between Jira and PPM).

• 4.  RE: Update Lookup Values from Outside Clarity

Posted Sep 28, 2020 09:02 AM
    "to do the dynamic lookup I would probably need to build a custom object right?" - no, not at all. Dynamic lookups are just a bit of NSQL (basically SQL with a bit of a Clarity wrapper) so can be 'anything' that you can reference in that SQL.

The NSQL in the lookup at task level can reference the project that the task belongs to (a parametrised lookup ; takes the task id as the parameter and thus can work out the project and base the lookup logic on the  value you have selected against the project)

"custom object" suggestions would just be if you wanted to maintain some sort of data-structure in Clarity - i.e. maintain it via the Clarity UI to then use in a dynamic lookup.