Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Looking for definition of all the objects under Portfolio management

• 1.  Looking for definition of all the objects under Portfolio management

Posted Jul 13, 2021 01:16 PM

I have something to say about Project and Program, but not able to find notes on  Applications, Assets, Products, Other-work, Portfolios.

Could someone define these as per CA PPM .

Project - A Project is an activity set designed to achieve a specific objective.

Program - Some Clients use Program as a large business initiative.

• 2.  RE: Looking for definition of all the objects under Portfolio management

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 14, 2021 09:11 AM
    Hello Jaya,

I remember a long time ago the different types of NPIOs were described with examples.

I will see if I can get some definitions back into the documentation.  The terms here are used in the traditional sense of application, assets..

I did find this:

Applications:  Group of similar project or other type work (NPIO) that make up a larger 'application'  Such as Retail Banking.
    Retail Banking is comprised of several projects as well as Services and other NPIOs.  At this level all related information for the Retail Banking application can be reviewed.
      'Systems operators at the data center are responsible for overseeing the
    general health, performance, and maintenance of all Retail Banking
    systems. Application information tracked in Clarity is used to analyze and evaluate applications' 
    Steering committee can use the information shown on the various metrics portlets to evaluation the progress.

Above information came from Clarity 7.5.3 User Guide

Assets:  This would consist of a list of your assets where they can be grouped.

------------------------------
    Liz Williamson
    Sr. Support Engineer - Clarity
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: Looking for definition of all the objects under Portfolio management

Posted Jul 15, 2021 11:37 PM
    Thank you Liz , so what is this NPIO ?

• 4.  RE: Looking for definition of all the objects under Portfolio management

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 16, 2021 04:20 AM
    Non Project Investment Object

• 5.  RE: Looking for definition of all the objects under Portfolio management

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 16, 2021 09:19 AM
    To add to that, those are all the other items under Portfolio Management, Demand Management and IT Service Management such as
    Ideas, Assets, Products, Services...

Liz Williamson
    Broadcom

• 6.  RE: Looking for definition of all the objects under Portfolio management

Posted Jul 16, 2021 12:46 PM
    Hi Liz - Please confirm if this ( from your assets definition) -  is that list of Assets or list of Applications?

• 7.  RE: Looking for definition of all the objects under Portfolio management

Posted Aug 17, 2021 08:22 PM
    Hi Liz - You said list of assets could be grouped.

I opened a Asset instance, it has "Team", "Financial", "Chargeback", "Hierarchy" tab, So where would the list of Assets are grouped ( under Hierarchy tab) ?

• 8.  RE: Looking for definition of all the objects under Portfolio management

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 14, 2021 09:18 AM
    Jaya.
    Some of the others are mentioned in the documentation such as small blurb on Other Work.

Also this page may help:

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/business-management/clarity-project-and-portfolio-management-ppm-on-premise/15-9-2/Getting-Started/Getting-Started-with-Digital-Product-Management.html

Liz Williamson
    Broadcom

• 9.  RE: Looking for definition of all the objects under Portfolio management

Posted Jul 19, 2021 12:52 PM
    The Link is more about Project and Product. Any other docs ?

• 10.  RE: Looking for definition of all the objects under Portfolio management

Posted Jul 26, 2021 01:46 PM
    Hi Liz -  Did you find the definitions on remaining terms? Products , Portfolios, Other work, Assets.

• 11.  RE: Looking for definition of all the objects under Portfolio management

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 14, 2021 01:12 PM
    Hi Jaya,
    The only 'investment type' objects that are brought forward into the Modern UX are the Ideas and Projects.
    The other Non-Project Objects (Assets, Applications, Services, Other Work, Products) are not going forward into the Modern UX. 
    I suggest you determine what 'types' of investment objects you would like to track work and use the new, Modern 'Custom Investment' type which is an extension of the Investment Object.  It will allow you to create your own types of investments and users can stay in the Modern UX without jumping back into the classic UI for the Classic NPIOs. 
    This will allow you to configure the use of the investments to have staff, tasks, and assignments on these investment types.
    Also you can have Custom Objects if you do not want 'investment' features such as staff, tasks and assignments on such objects.