Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

New UX Roadmaps configurations

• 1.  New UX Roadmaps configurations

Posted Jul 14, 2019 03:56 PM
    Hi,

I'm trying to use roadmapping in the new experience and I have some doubts:

I would like to show and syncronize several attributes, %complete and project date late,  but It was imposible for me.

When I looking around the docs , I found this paragraph: 
    • You can only synchronize the system-defined roadmap item and project attributes (metrics and dates) that are available by default. You cannot synchronize custom roadmap item or project attributes. 
    • Release 15.6.1 does support the synchronization of custom attributes for your custom investment types.
    I want to check with community if somebody knows more about this feature or if we get this funcionality (configure custonm attribute for roadmaps) in next versions .

Thanks a lot,

Ciraima

• 2.  RE: New UX Roadmaps configurations
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 15, 2019 03:13 AM
    Hi Ciraima,

Yes,  synchronizing custom attributes is supported as of release 15.6.1,    below is a bit more information on how this works.

When synchronizing matching custom attributes, the match is based on the API Attribute ID and Data Type for the child attribute of the parent Project, Custom Investment, or Idea object:

• The API Attribute ID and lookup data type for the attribute must match the API Attribute ID of the roadmap item object.
    • The type for the attribute must match the attribute type on the roadmap item object.
    • The lookup must also match.

The following conditions also apply:

• API Attribute ID must be a single character followed by an underscore (example: c_attribute).
    • When you select the Matching Custom Attributes option and the application finds a match, the data from the investment populates the roadmap item.
    • If the application finds no matching attributes, nothing happens to your custom investment attributes. The application continues synchronizing the remaining linked items as usual.

Synchronization is supported for custom attributes with the following datatypes:

• static lookups
    • simple data types (number, string, Boolean, date)

Tip: Dynamic Lookups, Parameterized Lookups, Formulas, and Calculated Attributes are not supported.

Supported sychronization of inherited attributes

Hope this gives you a good view on how this works,

Marc

• 3.  RE: New UX Roadmaps configurations

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 15, 2019 03:14 AM
    Hi Ciraima,
    In 15.6.1 you can use  custom attributes on roadmaps.
    In order to do so:
    1. Create a custom attribute on the project/idea object.
    2. Create the same on the Roadmaps item object
    3. Give same name/ID/API Atribute ID on both objects 
    4. The attribute now will be available in roadmaps
    5. The value at project/idea instance will be mapped and synced to roadmaps
    Regards

• 4.  RE: New UX Roadmaps configurations

Posted Jul 15, 2019 07:53 AM
    Edited by Deactivated User Jul 15, 2019 08:02 AM
    For which version is the quote for documentation you post? If that is for 15.6.1 as the numbers there are then it needs to be updated.
    As the two experts posted above you can synchronize certain custom attributes.

However, the % Complete already has API Attribute ID percentComplete which does not meet the requirements and you cannot create a custom Roadmap item attribute with that API Attribute ID
    (ErrorODF-0249: API Alias for custom attribute must begin with a lower case letter and an underscore (for ex. 'p_'))
    I do not know if that is the reason or if the reason is that % Complete can be also calculated.
    So that cannot be synced.

When you say Project date late, I cannot locate that as a standard attribute. If that is custom then you should be able to sync that if API ID meets the requirement and you create a Roadmap item attribute with matching API ID unless that is a calculated or formula attribute.

• 5.  RE: New UX Roadmaps configurations

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 15, 2019 02:15 PM
    Hi Ciraima,

As others have mentioned, only custom type attributes will be synchronized automatically to Roadmap items, which has it pros and cons.  For you specific examples:
    • Days Late: this attribute is automatically calculated if there is a baseline on the projects and many organizations do not actively baseline their projects and/or have a governance policy in place to manage baselines.  With Roadmaps, I would recommend creating a Baseline scenario that represents your portfolio of work at a give point in time, then create a second scenario (the plan of record) that is synchronized to the projects within Clarity.  The Roadmap Scenario comparison functionality will quickly show the variance between the baselined scenario and the current versions of the plans within Clarity.  This allows the work portfolio/roadmap owner to control the baselines, rather than depending on the Project Managers to do it.
    • % Complete: This is another attribute that can have a lot of variance in terms of how organizations manage the calculation.  Some of have very strict guidelines, driven by effort expended, others go through step increments 0-10-90-100.  I am not sure if this attribute would bring value to a notional plan that the start and finish timelines already bring.  We can try suggesting to product management that some indicator of % Complete would be valuable to the Timeline view on roadmaps.  You can make these recommendations during the regularly scheduled Product Office Hours.
    I have only addressed these two attributes, but if there are others attributes you are looking to synchronize, don't hesitate to ask.

• 6.  RE: New UX Roadmaps configurations

Posted Jul 15, 2019 03:01 PM
    What am I missing?
    I have been trying to locate Days Late: this attribute is automatically calculated in the attribute lists, but can't
    Where is is?

• 7.  RE: New UX Roadmaps configurations

Posted Jul 15, 2019 04:34 PM
    Hi Martti​,

Thank you for your comments.

The Project object doesn´t have originally  the attributte date late but We use a lot this variable and we add this one like a custom attribute in Project Object with this formula
    I understand for the all of comments that is not posible yet  add calculated attributes in roadmap ítems

I will going testing

Best regards,

Ciraima

• 8.  RE: New UX Roadmaps configurations

Posted Jul 15, 2019 05:06 PM
    In another thread a work around was presented: use a process to put the value to such an attribute that can be synced.

• 9.  RE: New UX Roadmaps configurations

Posted Jul 15, 2019 04:42 PM
    ​Thank you Marc for your valuable contributions.

I will continue doing some tests and I will surely have more questions

Regards,

Ciraima

• 10.  RE: New UX Roadmaps configurations

Posted Jul 15, 2019 04:48 PM
    Thank you Jose Ignacio and Yiu.

All of you make me easier for me to understand the configuration of roadmap  . I will continue learning and I will asking you if it was necessary.

Regards,
    Ciraima

• 11.  RE: New UX Roadmaps configurations

Posted Jul 15, 2019 05:25 PM
    This is just a illustration of it goes
    First in Studio (in Classic as there is no studio in the New UI) create a project attribute and set the API Attribute ID so that it starts with a small letter and underscore

Then create the same for the Roadmap item object. Note what the other guys are saying - the name and ID have to be the same, too.
    If the project attribute already has and API Attribute ID which does not meet the requirements that it dead end. You cannot sync that attribute.
    If you try to set and API ID that does not meet the requirements you get

Once you have the attributes created you have to populate the project attribute with values either in Classic or New

Then you have to link a Roadmap item to a project

Then you are ready to sync
    Note that there is just one checkbox for all the custom attributes.
    If you are doing this on you dev env remember to run the bg servcie. Otherwise no syncing.

• 12.  RE: New UX Roadmaps configurations

Posted Jul 15, 2019 05:48 PM
    As said before if the API attribute ID of the project attribute is already set
    In another thread a work around was presented: use a process to put the value to such a new  attribute that can be synced.