Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Closing a Project, Keeping Financial Report

Posted Mar 27, 2019 04:38 PM

Hey, 

To my understanding, to close a project, its financial status needs to be closed. To close it, there cannot be a financial plan for it.

The problem with this for me is that I would like to maintain the financial reports so that I can refer back and compare allocations and actuals. I want the ability to close a project, but still have its financial report in tact. Is this possible? Am I doing something wrong?

• 2.  Re: Closing a Project, Keeping Financial Report

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 27, 2019 05:22 PM

Hi Shawn - 

You should be able to make a project inactive as long as the financial status is close or hold.  

The financial plans do not have to be removed when you put the financial status in close or hold and make the project inactive.  

Pre 15.5.1 if a project had time entries or financial transaction data, you could not mark it for deletion.

Close, Deactivate, and Delete Projects and Investments - CA PPM - 15.5.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Hope this helps!

• 3.  Re: Closing a Project, Keeping Financial Report

Posted Mar 27, 2019 08:35 PM

Hey Stephanie, 

Appreciate the help on this! Whenever I or anyone else tries to change the Financial Status to "Closed," we receive the error:

"ERROR The department cannot be changed to a different entity after financial plans have been created"

This error only occurs if the project has a financial plan. As soon as the financial plan is deleted, we are able to successfully close the financial status and close the project.

Any ideas?

• 4.  Re: Closing a Project, Keeping Financial Report

Posted Mar 28, 2019 02:46 AM

I don't know why you are getting this error message, but you could try to move the 'Active' and 'Financial Status' flags to another page, where you might be able to just update these two attributes.

You might be getting this error message as you might be using the 'Settings' page to modify the 'Financial Status', where the settings page has a lot of attributes including Department, and PPM might incorrectly think you have updated Department has been modified when you press the Save button from the Settings page.  It is just an suggestion to resolve your current challenge.

• 5.  Re: Closing a Project, Keeping Financial Report

Posted Mar 28, 2019 05:18 PM

Hey Roland, this worked! I feel like this has got to be a Clarity bug, but appreciate the workaround. Thanks for the help.

• 6.  Re: Closing a Project, Keeping Financial Report

Posted Mar 28, 2019 08:16 PM

Glad it helped.  If you are using a supported version of PPM, you can contact CA Support for assistance on your initial issue.