Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Investment Type Field

• 1.  Investment Type Field

Posted 03-27-2019 09:21 AM

Good morning!  We are trying to implement a Portfolio - Program - Project structure and I've been asked if there is a "flag" that we can use to separate out what's a program and what's a project when exporting data from Clarity.  When I did some research, I found the investment type field, however.  It seems as though it doesn't matter if I create a program under the program module, the investment type shows as project.  

So, I dug a little deeper to try to see if I could change the investment type from project to program, but the field is read-only.  I have two questions, why would the investment type show as 'project' when I am creating a program in the program portlet and then why is the investment type field read-only so I can't change it to a program?

Any help is appreciated.  

• 2.  Re: Investment Type Field

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 03-27-2019 09:53 AM

Hi Linda - 

The Investment Type attribute is using lookup "Investment Types" which pulls from the odf_objects table.  Program is not an object but an attribute of the Project object so it would be associated with the Project Object.

If you pull in the Program attribute from the Project object you can see if an investment is flagged as a Program.

Hope this helps!

• 3.  Re: Investment Type Field

Posted 03-28-2019 12:50 AM

If the investment is a Program', the attribute is_program is set to 1, otherwise it is set to 0.

• 4.  Re: Investment Type Field

Posted 03-29-2019 10:47 AM

Can you clarify this for me? Where would I see this and can i change it?

• 5.  Re: Investment Type Field

Posted 03-29-2019 11:13 AM

It is on the settings page, and, in theory be ticked/unticked.  But, from a PPM perspective, a program should only have milestones, not a full schedule as these should be in the children projects for example.  Try it first in a non production environment.

Also, though you can have portfolio / program / project, this doesn't follow the underlying hierarchy in PPM.  I'm not saying what you doing is wrong but a portfolio in PPM is a completely different module.  If you were to stick to the PPM hierarchy, it would be Program / Project / Sub-Project,where the relationships is then driven by inv_hierachies.  But just my view, as for example, I have added additional portlets to portfolio to show things like issues/risks for the investments that make up the portfolio as an example of bringing additional data into the portfolio area.