Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

When I baseline a project does it save the cost plan data so that I can report via advanced reporting against the baselined plan data by resources class?

• 1.  When I baseline a project does it save the cost plan data so that I can report via advanced reporting against the baselined plan data by resources class?

Posted Jan 14, 2019 02:28 PM

I am trying to create reporting against cost plan data at the resource class level that can potentially be updated by finance after it is originally submitted (feed from SAP).  If I baseline the project after the original cost plan submission, will I be able to report against the baselined resouce level cost plan data?

• 2.  Re: When I baseline a project does it save the cost plan data so that I can report via advanced reporting against the baselined plan data by resources class?

Posted Jan 14, 2019 05:39 PM

Hi Sheila,

Are you trying to use the baseline feature, to capture a copy of the original cost plan, so that you have something to compare with the SAP modified cost plan?

If so, I guess one could do this, but I would expect comparison of baseline project data with cost plan data would be a little difficult, as the two data sets are quite different – with Gantt chart data stored in BLOBS and sliced.

Is there any chance that the original Cost Plan could be saved.  Then when SAP feed produces changes, do that on a new version of the cost plan, a copy of the original?  That way, you could then see the two in the same Financial Plan tab, Cost Plans list and reporting could be done on them both, easily as the data is all of the same type in the same source.

We had something similar, years ago, where we’d import updated cost plans from Excel, into Clarity.  In our Excel file, we had a column where we could identify whether the Excel data should be used to update an existing plan or used to create a new plan.  We don’t use this now and the code is out of date, for a much earlier version of Clarity.

Not 100% sure I’ve understood your scenario, but hopefully I’ve furthered the conversation.

Kind regards,

Dale C. Stockman

ZF Friedrichshafen AG

Active & Passive Safety Technology

• 3.  Re: When I baseline a project does it save the cost plan data so that I can report via advanced reporting against the baselined plan data by resources class?

Posted Jan 15, 2019 02:52 AM

One way to look at that is to look at the fields included

The challenge is that there are a lot of virtual fields that do not have a db field.

The other challenge is that baseline details is not an object so the attributes are not listed.

Judge yourself if the data you need is included.

• 4.  Re: When I baseline a project does it save the cost plan data so that I can report via advanced reporting against the baselined plan data by resources class?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 15, 2019 10:43 PM

You could submit the original cost plan and approve it to be the budget plan. Then you can compare the new cost plan to the budget plan.