Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Creating Gantt charts in jasper studion

Posted Dec 03, 2018 05:57 AM

I Want to create Gantt chart in jasper studio. can some one please help me with steps on creating gantt report.

• 2.  Re: Creating Gantt charts in jasper studion

Posted Dec 03, 2018 01:49 PM

There are two options: there's a jaspersoft widget, or you must write your own table. I've always written my own - I find the widget unreliable.

In this instance, Google is your friend: https://www.google.com/search?q=ca+ppm+jaspersoft+gantt+chart+site:communities.ca.com&rlz=1C1CHBD_enNZ741NZ741&sa=X&ved=… 

• 3.  Re: Creating Gantt charts in jasper studion

Posted Dec 03, 2018 06:53 PM

Displaying a GANTT on a report should be a OOTB facility in a Project Management application, but sadly it is not.

I also have mixed views about showing the GANTT, as there are so many variables that need to be considered (eg should it be at the lowest level, what time scale, should the chart start at the current date or the project start, should the gantt show the baseline (which one), are a couple of examples).

As a compromise to the above, I have used a modified version of the OOTB Project Roadmap, to show key milestones, including those that are late.  This way a sponsor can quickly see what is coming up on a project without going into the thousands of lines which make up a gantt.

You may also look at the OOTB report Project Schedule, which shows 'bars' for individual tasks.

There are JasperSoft OOTB 'basic elements' which also produce gantts, in particular, Chart - Gantt which you can look at.  CA are also in the process of rolling out JasperSoft V7.1 which you may want to look at to see if additional options are available, but just consider my views above.  I previously tried the Chart - Gantt, and unless you get the scaling/limit data/etc, the chart produced is a horrible 'blob' which will provide no information to the sponsor/stakeholders (who I assume the report is for).

• 4.  Re: Creating Gantt charts in jasper studion

Posted Dec 03, 2018 07:00 PM

I agree with the above. I have relied on OOTB Project or Program Roadmap report and enhanced as per my requirements to plot different categories of milestones and statuses. roland.parrotte - Do you mind sharing a screenshot how you are showing when milestones are late in your customized version?

Thanks,

Praneeth

• 5.  Re: Creating Gantt charts in jasper studion
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 03, 2018 07:32 PM

Praneeth, the logic of the schedule section is 'find any late milestones' and use the minimum date as the starting point of the 'schedule' graph.

It there are no 'late milestones' then just use current month as the starting point of the 'schedule graph'.

If the milestone is late, show as Red, otherwise, for this client show as black.

The above is purely based on the milestone date compared to today's date and the status of the milestone.  The logic could have included comparing to the baseline.

Screen shot taken back in May-2018, so please ignore that both milestones should have been showing as 'red', if run today.

Additional colours can be added to the 'diamonds' if their is a requirement.  I have one client who required 4 as they also categories their milestones to show critical ones like 'go-live'. 

My view, it is a nice way to summarize the milestone data, and then appropriate conversation can be had about what is occurring next on the project.

• 6.  Re: Creating Gantt charts in jasper studion

Posted Dec 03, 2018 08:10 PM

Thanks, roland.parrotte.