Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Any way to allow more than 6 decimals digits in a numeric attribute?

Posted Nov 27, 2018 08:10 AM

Hi everybody.

We notice than CA PPM attributes only allow 6 decimal digits.

This is fine for most data, but there are some cases where more precision is needed. For example, currency conversion rates and amount,s which is specially sensitive when big numbers are being converted.

If you try to create an attribute with more decimals, CA PPM shows ERROR "ODF-0226: Number of decimal places must be 6 or less".

Have you seen any way change it?

• 2.  Re: Any way to allow more than 6 decimals digits in a numeric attribute?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 03, 2018 03:28 PM

This is how the application is designed. We generate the error message to maintain the consistent limitation.

• 3.  Re: Any way to allow more than 6 decimals digits in a numeric attribute?

Posted Dec 04, 2018 01:50 PM

I understand. 

Unfortunatley there are some countries where currency commonly uses big numbers (for example. 1,000 Dollars = 660,000 of local currency units), and the restriction affects accuracy in a visible level when you have to multiply a 6-decimal number (e.g. exchange rates) with big integer numbers. The rounding can easily end in the position of the "hundreds" or "thousands" or even the "millions" digit.

I guess we have to deal with this for a while.

• 4.  Re: Any way to allow more than 6 decimals digits in a numeric attribute?

Posted Dec 03, 2018 06:34 PM

And, I don't believe there is a way to have more than 6 decimal places, at least from an Object perspective.

• 5.  Re: Any way to allow more than 6 decimals digits in a numeric attribute?

Posted Dec 04, 2018 01:39 PM

Exactly. That's the reason motivating this question. CA PPM Studio does not allow more than 6 decimals. But this restriction is present at application level only. The database engine (SQL Server) allows more precision with FLOAT or DECIMAL data types, however it's not possible to take advantage of this expanded precision in a "CA-supported" way.