Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Max Tasks limit under a Project

Posted Jul 27, 2018 03:36 AM

Is there any limit for no.of tasks under a project with Clarity 15.4 version 

• 2.  Re: Max Tasks limit under a Project

Posted Jul 27, 2018 03:58 AM

I must admit that I have not thoroughly looked at that documentation, but not to my knowledge.

In earlier versions there has not been a technical limit.  So people have posted about projects with hundreds and thousands of tasks and if I recall correctly of tens of thousands.

When the number of tasks goes up eventually the performance will go down. The first indications you get with the schedulers OWB and MS Project. Opening projects takes longer and so does saving. CA has improved the performance of the MS Project connector so that has .good performance with large number of tasks.

• 3.  Re: Max Tasks limit under a Project

Posted Jul 27, 2018 04:43 AM

No such maximum limits are there. I have seen BIG Projects created by some PPM customers which are having hundreds of tasks or line items. However, if you really want to know if there is any limit for that then, I assume, you are concerned about the PPM performance. PPM consultants suggest there should not be more than 100 tasks under one project, to make sure that the performance does not get affected. Yes, PPM might still work fine, but it becomes difficult to manage such long list of tasks under one project. 

Best practice is to use a scheduler. PPM goes with Open Workbench or Microsoft Project. Now it has been seen that these schedulers suffer from serious performance issues while handling more than 100 tasks because so many tasks means lots of resources, and even more assignment... Phew!!!

See this knowledge document:  Opening a project in Open Workbench is taking long - CA Knowledge  

Hope this helps.  

Cheers!!!

• 4.  Re: Max Tasks limit under a Project

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 27, 2018 04:53 AM

Hi,

I think there is no limit for no.of tasks under a project. I know that there is customer who defines 1000 or more tasks in project.

But there is limit for maximum tasks allowed in a timesheet. It is configured by governors.properties like as below.

#Maximum tasks allowed in a timesheet
    MAX_TIMESHEET_TASKS=250

I don't recommend modifying this configuration. If you modify it, you may encounter any performance issue.

Regards,

Shoichi