Whenever anyone tries to get to the project page (Home > Projects), they get the error:
Error 500 - Internal Server Error. The server could not retrieve the document due to server-configuration or other technical problems. Contact your site administrator.
I also checked the error logs and see these two errors:
Service call failed for portlet: projmgr.projectList_odf
rollback exception java.lang.StackOverflowError
This appears to have happened randomly. It worked Friday, but today (Monday) it does not. Nothing has changed since then.
Is this an On-demand or On-Premise environment. If possible, share the logs. If its on-premise or local virtual machine, verify whether DB connectivity is fine from the application server.
This happens because the view has got corrupted and considering that this is happening to all users this might have happened because one of the attribute configured in the list view might have a bad data or the attribute itself is corrupted.
If this is happening in a non prod env, you might want to publish the view from Project object - views but please keep in mind that its going to overwrite all user views to default.
If this is happening in prod, you might want to Restore Default for just one user and see if that fixes the problem. If it still does not fix the problem, remove one field after the other from the selected columns in the List layout for one user and if that fixes the problem. By this way you will be able to identify the field which is causing the issue.
The below community post will help you to get to the restore view page for a specific user.
CA PPM Tuesday Tip: Using Fiddler to Restore Views in PPM
Please let us know how it goes.
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately i cannot even get to the Object at all. When i go to Admin > Objects and click on the Project Object, I receive the following error:
Can you please check the app-ca logs and let us know what you are seeing there when this error pops up.
The potential root cause seems to be from a custom attr which has got corrupted. The app-ca should say something about that and we might have to fix this via xog.
Adding to what Jerin said, did you tried to xog Project object from another instance? That is one probability I can think of the cause of the corruption
No, we have not done any xogging of the project object from another instance.
Yes i checked the logs, these two seem to be the only thing of relevance at the time of me getting the error:
Looks like a custom attr or custom lookup on an attr is corrupted.
Since you are not even able to access the project object, I would recommend xogging out the project object and xog it back without making any changes - this might throw the error which will give some idea on where its failing..
If the XOG goes in fine without any error and the object cant still be accessed, then try to remove the custom attributes from the project object and try xogging in back and check it again.
If this issue is happening in production, I would recommend doing a DB restore to non prod env and then try out the above steps..
The usual corruptions I have seen in the past is -having an apostrophe in the attr name or the lookup name or values...
a bad character in the name which fails the XML call... so check for these scenarios as well.
I'm assuming you are right, there must have been some corruption with an attribute on the object. Luckily since it is only the development environment, i restored the Production DB to Dev, so it is resolved now. Thank you for all your help in troubleshooting this issue!
No worries at all.. anytime...