Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Undocumented functions in power filters/ expression builder?

Posted Jan 17, 2018 11:10 AM

Hey all,

Trying to build what should be a very simple function as a part of a workflow. Basically all I need to do is take a date field from a project and check if it's in the current year. 

My original thought was I could write something like:

RIGHT(Convert(ToString('project.thisProject.schedule_start')),4) == dateMacro("currentYear")

The idea being that I could take the schedule start date attribute (say 1/1/18), then convert it to a string (presuming it would get rendered at 01012018. Then take the 4 rightmost characters = 2018. Then compare that to the currentYear using the dateMacro.

Obviously this doesn't work, but I can't seem to find any sort of functions or documentation relating to functions for expressions. 

This should be easily accomplished without having to write a gel script. Any help?

• 2.  Re: Undocumented functions in power filters/ expression builder?

Posted Jan 17, 2018 11:39 AM

Can't you just do;

>= dateMacro("currentYear")

--

PowerFilter - dateMacro 

• 3.  Re: Undocumented functions in power filters/ expression builder?

Posted Jan 17, 2018 11:44 AM

David,

Thanks for the suggestion. Worth testing since I can't speculate how CA PPM will react when comparing a year to a date, since I assume the "currentYear" will ultimately get parsed as a date (likely 1/1/18, for example), which may be an issue.

• 4.  Re: Undocumented functions in power filters/ expression builder?

Posted Jan 17, 2018 11:52 AM

You are looking at the date as the user local processes it. I should be inclined to think that when the comparison is made the dates are looked the way they are in the database eg 20180101T00:00:00 in MS SQL. That would give belief in comparing current year to a date.

• 5.  Re: Undocumented functions in power filters/ expression builder?

Posted Jan 17, 2018 12:24 PM

^ yeah exactly ; surely "dateMacro" is returning a date not a string (otherwise how would it ever work with "today")

(hint:it works for me!)

• 6.  Re: Undocumented functions in power filters/ expression builder?

Posted Jan 17, 2018 09:02 PM

Hi btumbleson, 

Agree, we do not have very detailed documentation for the Power Filter functions. You can refer to the Build a Power Filter section in the following topic to get a generic understanding of the feature and read about some simple examples:

Personalize CA PPM - CA PPM - 15.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Personalize CA PPM - CA PPM SaaS - 15.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Hope this helps a little.

Regards, Sarmistha