Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Provide rights to save and schedule Jaspersoft reports

• 1.  Provide rights to save and schedule Jaspersoft reports

Posted Mar 15, 2017 05:52 AM

Hi

I've created the custom reports in Jaspersoft and put in the new custom folder under the organization. I provided access rights "Execute only" to the user who are been added to these folders, not Role.

But when I provide this right, I couldn't Save the input control or Schedule the reports. Even "Read Only " doesn't help.

Only "Read+Write" helps, but it allows the user to Edit the definition of the reports. Is there a way to provide them save and Schedule the reports without providing the edit rights else remove the link to View menu options on the top.

Please advise ASAP

Thanks

Sreeram

• 2.  Re: Provide rights to save and schedule Jaspersoft reports

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 15, 2017 07:46 AM

Hi Sreeram,

I think you raised a case you need to have the read +write and thats how its designed.

Regards

Suman Pramabnik 

• 3.  Re: Provide rights to save and schedule Jaspersoft reports

Posted Mar 15, 2017 07:49 AM

Thanks Suman, but users can edit the reports.. this shouldn't be allowble right? Is there any other way to remove the whole View menu itself

- Sreeram

• 4.  Re: Provide rights to save and schedule Jaspersoft reports

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 15, 2017 07:58 AM

Yes they can and its a limitation at this point. That is how Jaspersoft is designed. You are managing the folder permission to save the filter by giving read + write so you cannot control editing 

More discussion herejaspersoft access rights for save parameters 

Regards
    Suman Pramanik 

• 5.  Re: Provide rights to save and schedule Jaspersoft reports

Posted Mar 16, 2017 09:29 AM

hi

You should provide edit rights to the folder where the report is located. That way, they can save filters and scheduled jobs.. but they cannot edit the report definition itself. So, do not provide write access to report, just to the folder where the report is located.

• 6.  Re: Provide rights to save and schedule Jaspersoft reports

Posted Mar 17, 2017 06:49 AM

Hi Aurora,

Thanks for your reply. I created a new folder and add a new report with basic rights in role tab. In users tab it has only execute only rights. For the new folder, I've provided with Read+Write rights and now the Reports receives same rights because of inheritence in the user tab. Hence user can edit the report definition. 

So it didn't work. Is there any other way? Please advise

Thanks

Sreeram

• 7.  Re: Provide rights to save and schedule Jaspersoft reports

Posted May 08, 2017 04:45 PM

Did this get resolved? I am facing the same issue. 

Aurora_Gaimon  can you please help us?

Thanks, 

Keri

• 8.  Re: Provide rights to save and schedule Jaspersoft reports

Posted May 09, 2017 01:01 AM

Hi Taylor,

For user to save option or to schedule report user need to have administer right over a report, best way to achive this might be, if you create a new folder with user name and providing administer right to that user only. By this user can copy report from a central location where all organizations report are published and can save, modify and schedule reports from there. 

Note: User still need to have atleast read only access for all resources being used in report, like data source.

Regards,

Prashank Singh

• 9.  Re: Provide rights to save and schedule Jaspersoft reports

Posted May 09, 2017 08:27 AM

Hi  Sreeram601,

You can provide the "ROLE_REPORT_DESIGNER" role to that user. Then the user will be able to schedule the report and it will not allow the user to Edit the definition of the report.

But you need to give the "Read only" access rights to the user on the Report.

Note: If the report is using any components which is under the other folder then, "Execute Only" right on that folder's will be mandatory and user will not be able to see folder, but will be able to use the components in that folder.

Regards
    Shubham

• 10.  Re: Provide rights to save and schedule Jaspersoft reports

Posted Aug 30, 2017 06:00 PM

Thank you for all of the contributions - gave me some good ideas on how to propose to resolve this for our implementation (this may work for others as well). My apologies for the number of unformatted screen captures.

I have set up our users has having access to the Roles:

• ROLE_ADHOC_DESIGNER,
    • ROLE_REPORT_DESIGNER,
    • ROLE_USER, plus for example
    • CSK_ROLE_PROJECT_MANAGEMENT

This grants a given user with the ability to see but not update OOTB (or centrally administered) reporting objects that are stored in the directory that the System Administrator has rights over - for example, 'cppm* -> CA PPM -> Reports -> Project Management'. This protects the integrity of the reports that everyone has rights to (and needs to rely upon).

This doesn't mean that users cannot create replicas of these reports from this directory, paste them into directories that they do have Write permissions over, and modify the replica, and then save that Report+Parameter combination.

1. Copy:

2. Move to write-enabled directory:

3. Paste:

The permissions on the replica of the original item use the permissions of the directory it resides in, so the replica can be opened, new pameters set and applied, and then saved.

The name given to the Report+Parameter combination now appears under the Report Options.

Viewing the reports available to this user...

... you will see 1) the original, OOTB report, 2) an (artificial) replica of the original report copies to the user's directory, then 3) the replica plus the saved parameter combination.

It is possible for the user to modify the Name and Description properties of the replica, and potentially advisible to avoid having them wonder whether the replication of names in this list isn't a system glitch.

From this point onwards, it would then be the user's responsibility to verify that their saved reports continue to function properly after application upgrades

Hope that this helps someone (else).

Cheers,

Will Lloyd

• 11.  Re: Provide rights to save and schedule Jaspersoft reports

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 30, 2017 10:52 PM

Hi Will,

Glad that it helped, however I would like to let you know that in the upcoming version we are giving you access to run reports from PPM itself i.e. only studio reports. 

Regards
    Suman Pramanik 

• 12.  Re: Provide rights to save and schedule Jaspersoft reports

Posted Aug 31, 2017 02:56 PM

Thanks Suman,

I am currently testing PPM 15.2 (moving from 14.3) in my Dev environment and noted that Business Objects (and Crystal Reports) have been removed. I had guessed that the Status Reports in the new UX were based on Jaspersoft objects. Are you say that there will be more of this sort of integration without having to open the Advanced Reporting module?

• 13.  Re: Provide rights to save and schedule Jaspersoft reports

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 01, 2017 02:35 AM

Hi WIll,

There is nothing like Jaspersoft objects, the status reports in new UX is similar to classic UI. The only thing we are allowing from 15.3 is to run Studio reports from PPM also along with Advance reporting.

Regards

Suman Pramanik