Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Filter Configuration for Changing Project Name

Posted Feb 01, 2017 06:27 PM

Hello, I have a question about a filter configuration in a portlet.

Is there a way to isolate object-based portlets (that pull from the out-of-box Project object) for a specific project?

As a follow-up, does a method exist for creating a dynamic filter that could change based on the project being displayed in a dashboard view?

Currently, I am able to set a default filter for a specific project name on a portlet, but since the system has multiple projects, this would only work for the one project and would not be a viable system solution. I am searching for a way to have the filter automatically set for the user when they navigate to the page in the same way that other NSQL out-of-box portlets are configured to do.

Thank you

• 2.  Re: Filter Configuration for Changing Project Name

Posted Feb 02, 2017 12:00 AM

What about creating a portlet for the project dashboard tab. You can pass the project id dynamically, and it will show the data for that project only.

NJ

• 3.  Re: Filter Configuration for Changing Project Name

Posted Feb 02, 2017 01:21 AM

Yep. You can add an XPATH construct, such as this: 

@where:param:xml:string:/data/id/@value@

More info here: https://docops.ca.com/ca-ppm/15-1/en/administration/reference/ca-ppm-studio-development/ca-ppm-studio-nsql-queries 

• 4.  Re: Filter Configuration for Changing Project Name

Posted Feb 02, 2017 03:47 AM

^ I think the question was about object-based portlets not NSQL ones.

I think NJ is right though ; if you create a portlet of Instance Type being project then you can place that on the project dashboard page within the project page layout and it will show for whatever project that you are currently "looking at".

Don't think that theres a way to pre-filter a filter on a "standalone" object based portlet though. There are various ways you can accomplish this sort of thing in NSQL based portlets as we have much more programmatic control over them, but the user-experience might not be what you want in those cases (e.g. can not update the data).

• 5.  Re: Filter Configuration for Changing Project Name

Posted Feb 02, 2017 05:22 AM

Thank you, Dave

Regards

NJ

• 6.  Re: Filter Configuration for Changing Project Name

Posted Feb 02, 2017 11:09 AM

Exactly. We are trying to use an out-of-box object-based portlet. I was trying to edit an existing portlet (General instance type, Project Object Type) that had the following fields 'Total Proj Planned $', 'Total Proj Actual $', and 'Cost Plan Summary'. I tried creating a new portlet with the 'Project' Instance type but these fields were not available. 

I also went back and tried to create a new 'General' instance type using the 'Project' object and these fields were not available either.

So this leaves me wondering if there is a way to JOIN objects to create a portlet without using NSQL because I am unable to figure out how the out-of-box portlet got those attributes. Does anyone know which objects those fields could come from?

Or, I was hoping originally to just pass an argument to the default filter for the out-of-box portlet that has the data I need. I wanted to reference a variable that was similar to how you might using Javascript or even Excel.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.