Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Project dependency based on Resource

Posted Jun 04, 2017 12:21 PM

Most of the times 2 or more projects are serially aligned based on key resource's availability.

How can clarity help prevent or suggest the impact on dependent project if the first project or task gets delayed affecting consecutive projects to delay as well and hence resulting in total failure at times?

• 2.  Re: Project dependency based on Resource

Posted Jun 04, 2017 01:52 PM

You can create external dependencies from project tasks to tasks in other projects.

Open the task properties and select Dependencies from the Properties menu

Select new

Select another project from the project browse button.

Click Filter and the task list in the second project opens.

You can do that one dependency at a time.

This type of external dependencies are similar to the dependencies within a project in scheduling.

There are also project level dependencies.

They default to project, but can also be to any NPIO

My understanding is that these are just for the record for the users to take into account and there is no functionality in scheduling in them.

• 3.  Re: Project dependency based on Resource

Posted Jun 04, 2017 06:17 PM

Thanks Urmas, I am aware of this part the question comes once we have all this, how does Clarity help in proactively intimating Project managers about the imminent risk if a task gets delayed?

It is very hard to digest that Clarity cannot do it. If the answer is custom report or Notification then that is like CA giving up on this crucial need which I have seen many customers expecting Clarity to do.

Regards,

Suhas

• 4.  Re: Project dependency based on Resource

Posted Jun 05, 2017 02:56 AM

I see. I think that is possible to develop dashboard alert for that, but I am not aware of such an alert existing OOTB or create by a third party.

navzjoshi00  might know better as he is very familiar with the reports, portlets and third party add ins. Dee eg. What are some early intervention solutions you've implemented? 

• 5.  Re: Project dependency based on Resource

Posted Jun 05, 2017 12:28 PM

I do not remember coming across any 3rd party portlet or report that covers this. Generally I recommend that our PM's and RM's review their resource allocations weekly to see if there are any issues. If a resource on your project suddenly becomes over allocated, the PM needs to see what else they are working on and discuss with the RM to reduce teh potential impact on the project.

Where a task gets delayed and a resources allocation is impacted, I instruct the PM to discuss this with the RM immediately so that efforts can be taken to ensure the continuity of that resource no the project can be addressed. 

Discussions between the RM's and PM's cannot be replaced by a portlet. A portlet can display data and possibly predict an issue, but it is the human interaction between the responsible parties that have to resolve any issue. 

• 6.  Re: Project dependency based on Resource

Posted Jun 06, 2017 07:40 AM

I understand that you are already aware on how to create dependency but now you are looking forward to any possibility how PPM, as an Application, will be notifying you when certain values/dates are changed on the (dependent) investment(s). 

As per my knowledge, PPM does not have any feature for the same. But you can create some process that will notify the respective project managers once, for example, the start and finish dates are changed. You can try that in case that helps. 

Thanks,

Abhisek Dhar