Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Staff OBS Unit

Posted Oct 26, 2016 02:46 PM

Hello, 

As rolling out of Idea, a new process is being introduced. When in Idea, Roles are added to the Team and the Staff OBS is selected. Then when the conversion of Projects happens the roles are replaced with resources.

The challenge we are facing is sometimes when the roles are replaced with resources they necessarily are picked from the mentioned Staff OBS and which is causing the allocation and capacity getting messed up.

To fix this we are thinking to clear the Staff OBS unit when the roles are converted to resource. Could be manual or run a job. Before we go about doing this just want to be sure am I not missing anything. Would the Capacity and Allocation work the same if there are no Staff OBS vs when there is a Staff OBS associated with resources?

Thanks

• 2.  Re: Staff OBS Unit

Posted Oct 31, 2016 09:25 AM

Removing the staff OBS would cause some of the OBS based capacity/demand reports and portlets to lose all of the unfilled demand data. 

• 3.  Re: Staff OBS Unit

Posted Oct 31, 2016 10:05 AM

Thanks Jason. Once the Role is converted to Resource, the unfilled becomes invalid if the Staff OBS is not the same as the Resource manager. So we are looking to blank it so Capacity doesn't get messed up for wrong managers.

The other option being considered is update the Staff OBS to be same as RM, I feel that is going to be tricky especially when we are going to automate it.

Blanking would be the preference but before that to be sure apart from unfilled requirements portlet will there be any impact.

• 4.  Re: Staff OBS Unit

Posted Nov 01, 2016 08:24 PM

For one client, I wrote a process that populates the Staff OBS.  The challenge with the Team object was I needed to pull out all the information associated with the Team, in particular allocations, to ensure the data is not lost when updating the Staff OBS attribute.

• 5.  Re: Staff OBS Unit

Posted Nov 02, 2016 02:57 PM

Thank you Roland. That is the concern I have. I think i am convinced not to go through with this option.