Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Does your organization auto-approve timesheets?

Posted Jul 17, 2017 11:00 AM

There was a pretty good discussion on this topic back at RegoUniversity, but wanted to reach out to the broader community to see how many organizations are using some sort of auto-approve process on timesheets?

If you do, are resource managers still expected to review and reject any with errors? If so, what are they using to review? Jasper report, custom portlet, something else? Did you notice any change in behavior or accuracy when switching from manual review/approval to automation?

This isn't something we currently do but has been on my mind ever since RegoU, so I wanted to get some info from others on how they're approaching this.

Sidenote, I tried to create this as a poll but was unable to, I guess that feature isn't available any more? It showed all "places" as unavailable for selection

• 2.  Re: Does your organization auto-approve timesheets?

Posted Jul 17, 2017 11:07 AM

We’re not using auto-approve, but do have an auto-reject – checking for obvious errors such as decimal point errors.  Some decimal point errors result in a number that can’t be exercised in a week.  Other, might result in an overtime amount that is feasible, though rare.

For the former, it’s an outright rejection.  The latter, a special notification to approver to check for reasonableness before approving.

Dale

• 3.  Re: Does your organization auto-approve timesheets?

Posted Jul 17, 2017 11:13 AM

If we do go down this road, I'm thinking there will be some conditions along similar lines.  Less than 40 hours doesn't get approved and waits for manager review, more than 50 does the same, that sort of thing.  How are you checking the specific numbers? That can't be done with the basic system actions and conditions in the UI can it, so are you doing a custom DB query? Hadn't thought that far in to it yet, was just keeping it pretty basic

• 4.  Re: Does your organization auto-approve timesheets?

Posted Jul 17, 2017 11:26 AM

Can’t check each entry, true, but can check timesheet total hours using “thisTimesheet Total” in conditions.  Good enough, for us, for now.

• 5.  Re: Does your organization auto-approve timesheets?

Posted Jul 17, 2017 11:30 AM

Gotcha, thats what I was planning. I misread that as you were checking the hours for each investment and rejecting based on that (as in, how did you spend 4.132 hours on something you liar), but I think you meant more of the "you clearly didn't spend 400.5 hours on work this week"

• 6.  Re: Does your organization auto-approve timesheets?

Posted Jul 17, 2017 11:56 AM

We auto-approve timesheets and it's been very well received. 

• Must be a permanent employee
    • Opted-in for auto approval.
    • Entered hours must equal Expected hours
    • Summary notification sent to manager
    • If timesheet does not meet the validation, (i.e. excess hours) we have reporting and notifications to handle the exceptions.

Other non auto-approval resources are handled through reporting, they can simply click a link and approve.

If you would like to learn more, get in touch

• 7.  Re: Does your organization auto-approve timesheets?

Posted Sep 18, 2017 03:40 AM

Andrew, I would be very interested in your 'My Team - Timesheet Management' portlet - are you able to share?

• 8.  Re: Does your organization auto-approve timesheets?

Posted Sep 19, 2017 06:17 AM

Hi Roland,

Please send me an email (on profile) and we can see if it's suitable or what changes are needed.

Also this is just one of the many "my team" views we built, so you probably would want the rest for it to make sense.

Thanks

• 9.  Re: Does your organization auto-approve timesheets?

Posted Jul 17, 2017 12:12 PM

We do auto-reject; auto-approve 1 hour before Post Timesheets if RMs do not approve their resources timesheets. Basically RMs has 24+ hours to review/approve but if they do not System auto-approves before Post Timesheets.

• 10.  Re: Does your organization auto-approve timesheets?

Posted Jul 17, 2017 06:21 PM

We auto approve as a clean up tactic 10 weeks after due. Great thread! Good to learn other's business processes - never thought about this before.