Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Unique Attribute Values

Posted Mar 14, 2017 01:22 PM

I am creating an attribute on the Issue and Risk objects to allow us to report the top 3 of each.  I need to set the attribute to only allow unique values (numbers) with the default of blank.  This would preclude someone from setting two issues as 1, 2 or 3.

Thanks

• 2.  Re: Unique Attribute Values

Posted Mar 14, 2017 02:29 PM

If I've got the use case right, you want the PM to manually rank their risks/issues which will then be reported.

The main catch with what you have proposed, is that if the ranking changes or the risk closes the value will be stuck with that risk. It's also creating a lot of work to keep up to date.

if the ultimate desired output is "Top Risks" or "Top Issues", then there are ways that don't use manual ranking. (i.e. calculated risk score, weighting, date till impact etc). This will produce better MI than manual ranking which might not be done, or have any consistency and better yet is OTB. We can even limit to the top 3.

If you still want to go ahead, you'll need a dynamic lookup that reads the risks on that project and produces a array which we can then exclude the already existing results. i.e. 1 AND 3 in use , 2,4,5,6,7,n shown (where N is the total number of active risks on the project)

• 3.  Re: Unique Attribute Values

Posted Mar 14, 2017 04:11 PM

Andrew,

Thank you for the reply.  The ask was to have a default value of null with the PM adding 1, 2 or 3 to the top 3 risks and issues but not being able to added multiples of 1, 2 or 3.  They would need to change as needed including removing the value when the issue or risk was closed.  I gave it further thought and went back to the asking person explained the the overhead involved in that and proposed we simply use an attribute of reportable that they would check (default is unchecked) and include this in the training with the PMs as we are just starting to implement the use of status reports from Clarity.  If more than 3 are checked the report would use the earliest create date to filter down. 

Regards,

Art

• 4.  Re: Unique Attribute Values

Posted Mar 15, 2017 04:32 AM

Andrew Mowlam wrote:

If you still want to go ahead, you'll need a dynamic lookup that reads the risks on that project and produces a array which we can then exclude the already existing results. i.e. 1 AND 3 in use , 2,4,5,6,7,n shown (where N is the total number of active risks on the project)

I like this, this would work.

But as usual, challenging the "requirements" a little results in a nice workaround for Art