Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Blank Gantt Chart

Posted Aug 08, 2016 12:30 PM

Gantt View is completely blank despite project having many tasks

This issue is still happening, and the work-around still works ('round-tripping to MSP').  Anyone know root cause, how to prevent, how to fix without using MSP?  If we switch to OWB, will 'round-tripping to MSP' still fix problem?

Dale

• 2.  Re: Blank Gantt Chart

Posted Aug 08, 2016 02:41 PM

Did you open a case with support?

Bring it up in the next Office hours.

• 3.  Re: Blank Gantt Chart

Posted Aug 08, 2016 04:57 PM

No, not yet.  This is a really rare event, haven’t seen it in 14.2 until today, and we’ve always been an MSP house.  We’re starting to look at OWB as a cost savings move, coincidentally with this issue reappearing.

We’re also upgrading to 14.4 or 15.1.  Is the issue resolved in these?

Will give the community a couple days for feedback opportunity – if nothing definitive comes back, will submit support case.

• 4.  Re: Blank Gantt Chart

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 09, 2016 05:17 AM

Hello Dale,

I have seen this in the past due to wrong sequence numbers in the tasks table (database level). The way to fix it is usually, as you mention, to do a roundtrip using MSP or to correct the sequences at DB level (do not try without Support's involvement). If you switch to OWB, OWB may also fix the problem but if it does not, switching to MSP would still be an option, but mixing schedulers is generally not recommended as each one has different scheduling criteria and could lead to some undersired changes if unnoticed.

As you mention that this is a really rare event, if you are using OWB and OWB round-trip does not resolve the issue, I would recommend you to open a Support case.

• 5.  Re: Blank Gantt Chart

Posted Aug 15, 2016 04:41 PM

Hi Dale_Stockman - We're you able to find a solution for this? Thanks! Chris

• 6.  Re: Blank Gantt Chart

Posted Aug 15, 2016 05:36 PM

No solution; however, possibly useful suggestions.

• 14.2 does not allow editing of WBS Sort field, so if earlier version allowed this and was source of our problem, hopefully, won't see it again.
    • If we see it again, can flip project to OWB and round trip it to see if that clears the problem.

Would like to hear if anyone has seen this, and fixed it without using MSP or OWB.

• 7.  Re: Blank Gantt Chart

Posted Aug 16, 2016 02:02 AM

If you hit again Dale_Stockman  , why don't you try restore defaults just for the kicks of it if everything else fails.

• 8.  Re: Blank Gantt Chart

Posted Aug 09, 2016 06:06 AM

"I have seen this in the past due to wrong sequence numbers in the tasks table (database level)"

makes me think that it is caused by playing with indention which in CA PPMcan be done unrelated to task WBS level while the external schedulers combine WBS level to indentation and do not allow to create all structures which are possible in CA PPM.

• 9.  Re: Blank Gantt Chart

Posted Aug 09, 2016 03:46 PM

In 14.4 you can only change the WBS sequence and level of indentation in the Gantt chart

Which means that it is difficult to get tasks out of WBS sequence. My recollection is that in OWB you cannot sset tasks at the indentation level of summary WBS items (except for the first one). So the round trip could apply more internal logic that CA PPM alone.

In the task list the WBS sort order is not editable and you cannot  indent tasks like in some earlier versions