Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Project Template financial status "Closed" but new investments have status "Open"

• 1.  Project Template financial status "Closed" but new investments have status "Open"

Posted Jul 17, 2017 01:43 AM

Hi PPM Community,

We have a problem on our PPM environments that I am racking my brain to resolve, but coming up with blanks.

We have forced creation of new project investments to be via project templates (by removing the global right . We have a number of these that match the different investment lifecycles. What is common amongst these lifecycles is the "pipeline" phase which is technically "Closed" for actual expenditure. (as an aside, Ideas for us are pre-"pipeline").

All our templates have a financial Status of "Closed". But when we spin up a new project from the templates, the financial Status is switched to "Open".

I have looked on the 'Administration' menu side under Project Management => Settings, General Settings => System Options, Finance => Setup, and can't find any settings here. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris.

• 2.  Re: Project Template financial status "Closed" but new investments have status "Open"
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 17, 2017 02:44 AM

Hi Chris,

I did test this scenario out in my lab machine and was able to replicate what you have mentioned here. 

The financial status of new projects are derived from the default value given in the Project Object - Financial Status.

Here is what I did

--> Navigated to Project object - Financial Status attr

--> Updated the default value of Financial Status as OPEN.

--> Created a project with its financial status as Closed

--> Marked the project as Template

--> From Projects List, Create from New Template and used the above template. 

Result: The new project got created with the financial status as OPEN as opposed to the CLOSED status in template. 

Changed the financial status attribute default value at project object to ON HOLD

Created a new project from the above template again and the newly created project had financial status as ON HOLD status. 

So its the object level default value which overrides the template value. 

Thanks,

Jerin

• 3.  Re: Project Template financial status "Closed" but new investments have status "Open"

Posted Jul 17, 2017 03:41 AM

Thanks Jerin. I will replicate this in one of our Pre-PROD environments tomorrow and then push through. We will have to reset everybody's project views, but this is critical.

• 4.  Re: Project Template financial status "Closed" but new investments have status "Open"

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 17, 2017 04:01 AM

Hi Chris,

ChrisYardin wrote:

We will have to reset everybody's project views, but this is critical.

I don't think we need to publish the views the after changing the financial status default values, but please test it out before rolling out.. 

Thanks,

Jerin

• 5.  Re: Project Template financial status "Closed" but new investments have status "Open"

Posted Jul 18, 2017 04:03 AM

Hi Jerin_Sebastian, can't get this to work.

On the Project Object - the 'Financial Status' attribute is defaulted to "Closed".

On the Project Object - under views, in the 'Fields' the "Financial Status" the attribute default is "Closed", and the override default is "Closed".

The template project's financial status is "Closed".

The new projects are still being created with the 'Financial Status' as "Open"

• 6.  Re: Project Template financial status "Closed" but new investments have status "Open"

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 18, 2017 08:51 PM

Hi Chris,

That's strange! 

Do you have a system default view or has it been customized. 

Since you are testing on non prod, to eliminate that views are  causing this, can you please publish the views and check once again. 

If it continues to happen, I will have to check your env, so please log a support case.

Thanks,

Jerin

• 7.  Re: Project Template financial status "Closed" but new investments have status "Open"

Posted Jul 18, 2017 09:29 PM

Thanks Jerin_Sebastian. I will raise the support case and would appreciate if you could pick up given our conversation. We should be allowed to get right into the environment like we have previously done before.

Cheers,

Chris

• 8.  Re: Project Template financial status "Closed" but new investments have status "Open"

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 24, 2017 08:47 PM

For the benefit of all, updating the root cause: 

Apart from the first issue around default value with the financial status, the other issue was to do with a custom process which gets triggered when a project is created and it has a step which updated the fin status to Open. 

After placing the process on hold, the fin status remains as closed. 

Thanks,

Jerin   

• 9.  Re: Project Template financial status "Closed" but new investments have status "Open"

Posted Jul 18, 2017 04:12 AM

Hi Chris,

We got around the "interesting" behaviour of the project creation with our own project request object.

User requests the project via an object instance, it's validated and then converted.

In that conversion I do a template xog then a second xog to update values based on business rules and fix the many template "defects". 

This might be something to consider.

it's been well received by users since we can be more liberal with who has access to create and it takes care of all the admin such as approval chains, emails, cost plans, rights, business rules

Automating the Project creation in Clarity 

• 10.  Re: Project Template financial status "Closed" but new investments have status "Open"

Posted Jul 18, 2017 09:28 PM

Thanks Andrew, what you have created on that link is a cool process that gets around governance short falls in establishing investments. I will follow up with Jerin_Sebastian who is one of my local support guys here in Sydney.

• 11.  Re: Project Template financial status "Closed" but new investments have status "Open"

Posted Jul 19, 2017 06:06 AM

Hello Chrisopher,

Do you have any Partitions defined on your CA Clarity PPM application other than System? If yes, then you will have to go to the View of that Partition on the Project object and check the default value of the field Financial Status within it. It may have a value as 'Open'. So, if you create a Project from Project Template across that Partition, it may be over-riding the value for the Financial Status to be 'Open' from 'Closed'?

Suhail.

• 12.  Re: Project Template financial status "Closed" but new investments have status "Open"

Posted Aug 08, 2017 11:37 PM

No it wasn't partitions. When we implemented our first release we had updated a process to create new investments from template. That process had a different default value. Jerin_Sebastian helped us sort this out and update the configuration accordingly.