Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Jaspersoft and performance

Posted Jan 26, 2016 09:29 AM

Hi,

We are currently developing reports in Jaspersoft Studio. We have created for example a project highlight report and we added a couple of input controls like project manager, project, OBS etc.

Al these input controls have a sql to retrieve the information. In SQL developer execution of every query is milli seconds so far so good.

But when we try to open the report and it is building his options filter it is taking for ever. Anyone experience or best practice?

kind regards,

Elwin

• 2.  Re: Jaspersoft and performance
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 26, 2016 10:07 AM

Hi Elwin. It's possible you're observing issue CLRT-79214. Please review Tec Doc TEC1006997 - Performance with Jaspersoft against large data sets.

• 3.  Re: Jaspersoft and performance

Posted Jan 27, 2016 02:56 AM

Hi Robert,

Looks like this is one of the issues.

We already discovered that BO and Jasper on 1 server is killing and that changing Jasper to a service is delivers a better performance.

But overall performance is bad, we have it running on a wintel server with 4 cpu and 16gb of memory so hardware technical it should be ok,

But navigating the jasper is very slow and opening and running report is performance wise slow. On top of this only IE 11 works, Chrome or Firefox will almost immediatly display the waiting icon forever.

If you have more tips or best practices we would like to know.

• 4.  Re: Jaspersoft and performance

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 27, 2016 03:31 AM

HI Elvin,

By default JVM allocation in Jaspersoft is minimum 1 GB and maximum 2 GB, so you can look into one of the document I wrote and see if you get better performance.

How to Set JVM Options for Jaspersoft Servers

Regards

Suman Pramanik 

• 5.  Re: Jaspersoft and performance

Posted Jan 27, 2016 07:19 AM

Hi Suman.

I have a question over getting the right JVM size.

Looking over your Tech Doc and Jasperreports hardware requirements - I'm unsure if I'm reading all the tea leaves right.

- Your post says 'A JVM maximum of 2GB', but the Tec Doc provides and example up upping this to 3GB.

- The Jaspersoft Guide recommendations (below) calls for a minimum of 4GB regardless of users.

JVM Heap Memory

• Use 64-bit systems to avoid the JVM memory limits of 32-bit systems
    • The minimun recommended JVM Heap Size for a production instance is 4Gb regardless the number of users.
    • As a general rule assign between 1.5 to 2.5 Gb of ram per each physical core available to the JVM (Support recommends 4 Gb RAM)

Add to this we're virtualized. Is 'Hardware' synonymous with the VM's setup? Example: Our virtual Jaspersoft server has 8GB of RAM and 2 cores allocated. We've set the max JVM size at 6 to leave 2GB for the OS. If Hardware is synonymous with Allocated Resources, to the Jaspersoft requirements we have 4GB of RAM per CPU (more generous than their recommendation) and with a minimum heap above 4GB (meets their recommendations).

Is this not how to think of appropriate sizing for best performance?

• 6.  Re: Jaspersoft and performance

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 27, 2016 07:25 AM

Hi Rob,

What I have said is an example, you can update based on your volume of data. if you install by default it will have 2 GB.

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 7.  Re: Jaspersoft and performance

Posted Jan 27, 2016 07:50 AM

We already increased the memory setting to 4gb without any good result. We can speed up navigaton with caching but this does not solve the bad performance on the report(s).

For example the report has been rebuild in Jasper with the same query, this report runs in les than a minute including selecting parameters.

The way the system performs is unacceptable for the customer, therefor we are in search of tips and tricks.

Additional information is that the environments (Dev&QA) I'm building and testing on, is only used by 1 or 2 persons .

• 8.  Re: Jaspersoft and performance

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 27, 2016 08:23 AM

Hi Elwin,

So its while fetch the data and input controls is that the case? I am trying to get detailed information on which part of the navigation is slow.

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 9.  Re: Jaspersoft and performance

Posted Jan 29, 2016 02:33 AM

Hi suman,

Dit some testing and the conclusion is that the servicepage Clarity created to run Jasper in Clarity is the big issue.

The same report directly via the jaspersoft URL without any Clarity connection is performing acceptable via Clarity it is not possible to run the report.

It looks like there is a patch since the 19th so going to look into this one.

kind regards,

Elwin

• 10.  Re: Jaspersoft and performance

Posted Feb 24, 2016 04:36 AM

We have installed the patch and the performance was much better.

Via the Clarity UI it is still considerable slower then direct access but for now acceptable.