Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  I am trying to plan a deployment with OWB, and would like to have quite detailed information for my tasks. Can I use exact time with tasks?

Posted Oct 26, 2015 06:55 AM

Hi all,

I wonder if OWB works for my purpose.

I am trying to do a quite exact plan over a weekend when several deployment should be done. Therefore, I would like to plan tasks start and finish dates with 15 minutes scale, such as start time 8:15 and finish time 9:30.

I already found out that yes, I can add time to task start and finish date field. However, I am not able to change those times, and I suppose that the duration has something to do with that. The duration is 1, which probably means that the minimum duration is one day.

If some knows a way to apply 15 minutes scale, I would really appreciate your help

Br,

Mika

• 2.  Re: I am trying to plan a deployment with OWB, and would like to have quite detailed information for my tasks. Can I use exact time with tasks?

Posted Oct 26, 2015 07:12 AM

Yes, OWB only plans dependant tasks down to the day.

(i.e. task-effort can be less than a day, but its no use in planning dependencies within a day )

• 3.  Re: I am trying to plan a deployment with OWB, and would like to have quite detailed information for my tasks. Can I use exact time with tasks?

Posted Oct 26, 2015 07:18 AM

Thanks David for a quick reply. 

That's too bad.. Would have been great tool to make kind of cutover plans, deployments, etc.

I guess we must go with a Excel spread sheet.

• 4.  Re: I am trying to plan a deployment with OWB, and would like to have quite detailed information for my tasks. Can I use exact time with tasks?

Posted Oct 26, 2015 07:24 AM

or MSP?

• 5.  Re: I am trying to plan a deployment with OWB, and would like to have quite detailed information for my tasks. Can I use exact time with tasks?

Posted Oct 26, 2015 07:28 AM

That's where the idea came from, to replicate MSP functionality with OBW.

However, we got rid of MSP while we got Clarity and OWB.

I should bring my own device in order to use MSP

• 6.  Re: I am trying to plan a deployment with OWB, and would like to have quite detailed information for my tasks. Can I use exact time with tasks?

Posted Oct 26, 2015 07:44 AM

OWB is not an event scheduling tool. Use Outlook calendar for that.

In OWB the duration based on the resource effort required and availability calculation can be less than 8 hours (or what ever the length of the working day is).

However, you cannot display the timescales in hours only in days and above.

That does not prevent you from having the "event" in the correct sequence within a day if you have defined the dependncies. After (auto)scheduling you should also see the respective times in the task dates whereve the time is displayed.

• 7.  Re: I am trying to plan a deployment with OWB, and would like to have quite detailed information for my tasks. Can I use exact time with tasks?

Posted Oct 26, 2015 07:46 AM

^ fair enough - I didn't realise OWB could handle the intra-day dependencies properly, I knew it couldn't display a Gantt broken down within the day though. I have been educated

• 8.  Re: I am trying to plan a deployment with OWB, and would like to have quite detailed information for my tasks. Can I use exact time with tasks?

Posted Oct 26, 2015 08:09 AM

Once this way ;-)