I'm currently trying to upgrade Clarity from version 13.2 to 13.3.
Everything is working properly in version 13.2 (recent upgrade). When the install process gets to the bootstrap it returns an error in install.log:
3/28/16 4:52 PM (ExecTask) Bootstrapping ODF...
3/28/16 4:52 PM (ExecTask) Heap Size: 3092m, PermGen Size: 1024m
3/28/16 4:53 PM (ExecTask) Capturing metrics in: D:\PPM_Clarity\Clarity/logs/bootstrap.xml
3/28/16 4:53 PM (ExecTask) Loading registered objects for custom attribute bootstrap...
3/28/16 4:54 PM (ExecTask) Loading registered objects for object mappings bootstrap...
3/28/16 4:55 PM (ExecTask) Loading registered objects to bootstrap...
3/28/16 4:55 PM (ExecTask) Loading registered objects for view bootstrap...
3/28/16 4:55 PM (ExecTask) Loading registered objects for object action bootstrap...
3/28/16 4:58 PM (ExecTask) Loading registered objects for building blocks bootstrap...
3/28/16 5:00 PM (ExecTask) Total bootstrap time: 0H:7M:46.265S
3/28/16 5:00 PM (ExecTask) Bootstrap time breakdown:
3/28/16 5:00 PM (ExecTask) Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
3/28/16 5:00 PM (ExecTask) at com.niku.odf.object.Bootstrap.setDefaultTabOrder(Bootstrap.java:2360)
3/28/16 5:00 PM (ExecTask) at com.niku.odf.object.Bootstrap.setDefaultTabOrder(Bootstrap.java:2312)
3/28/16 5:00 PM (ExecTask) at com.niku.odf.object.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:1305)
3/28/16 5:00 PM (ExecTask) at com.niku.odf.object.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:1050)
3/28/16 5:00 PM (ExecTask) ERROR: Upgrade failed for tenant
3/28/16 5:00 PM (ExecTask) ==========================================
3/28/16 5:00 PM (ExecTask) DBTools Log - Mon Mar 28 17:00:51 BST 2016
and in the admin.log regarding nsa service and db.xml.
I try to find this problem in forums but didnt find any useful tips.
Anyone encountered the same problem?
What was the patch level on 13.2 when you started the upgrade for 13.3.
Ideally you need to be 220.127.116.11 through 18.104.22.168
■ CA Clarity PPM Release 13.2 or Service Packs
– 22.214.171.124 through 126.96.36.199
It's version 188.8.131.522
So it's correct right?
This is the base 13.2 and has no patches. Please raise a support case to get the patch and then redo the upgrade. And you need to roll back to working 13.2 system and apply patch and upgrade from there.
If you're on base version 184.108.40.2062, then you don't have to apply any patches, this recommendation applies when you already have a patch applied (i.e. 220.127.116.11 and higher). Here is the information:
Please raise a Support case for us to take a close look at your logs and environment.
Thank you -Nika
As part of the information provided in the support case, please can you include the results of the following query:
SELECT code investment_type_code, UPPER(code) type_code_upper,
FROM odf_objects o, odf_object_extensions oe
WHERE oe.extension_code = 'inv'
AND oe.object_code = o.code
ORDER BY code
Just prior to the error you are receiving, this query (ID: 'odf.getExtendingObjects') is running to find all related objects to the 'investment' abstract object in your system (e.g. projects, ideas, other work, etc.). Hopefully that will get things moving for you as quick as possible.
One of the replies from that query in your system may be pointing to an object that failed to create properly (incomplete or missing), or has some other kind of issue that similarly prevents the code from working with it at this stage of the upgrade. From what I could see, the error occurring would not have been related to or even probably addressed by the application of a patch prior to upgrade.
Sorry for the delay, here is the result from that query:
application APPLICATION 1 1
asset ASSET 1 1
dw_investment DW_INVESTMENT 1 1
idea IDEA 1 1
other OTHER 1 1
product PRODUCT 1 1
project PROJECT 1 1
service SERVICE 1 1
It's weird that there is a dw_investment. Not sure if this was due to a problem with the upgrade we previously had during the upgrade we made from v13.2 to v14.3. To try and resolve that problem we decided to upgrade step-by-step to v13.3 instead.
Is this what's causing the problem? We can restore to a DB to the old 13.2 and retry the upgrade... but not sure if the problem is gonna fix itself.
Yes that looks like a problem. After the upgrade to 14.3 did not go as planned, the database and filesystems would have both needed reverting back to 13.2 versions before proceeding to use it or attempting to do an upgrade again.
I wouldn't expect to see DW_INVESTMENT in those query results for any 13.x version, and it could very well be the cause in this instance.
If you are able to restore the 13.2 database (if that backup was from before the attempt to upgrade to 14.3 the first time), then you should see that the query then produces different results, the DW_INVESTMENT row will not be there, and you should then (with these other results, and so long as none of those objects are causing you errors when accessing them in the Studio UI normally) be able to upgrade through this part correctly.