Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  14.4 and Indirect - historic data?

Posted May 24, 2016 10:35 AM

Have been informed that the Indirect area of timesheets goes away in 14.4.

What happens to the historic data?  Is it migrated to Other Work, deleted, archived....?  Is there a best practice recommendation for say, xog'ing out indirect, selecting what we want to keep and xog'ing back in as Other Work?

Dale

• 2.  Re: 14.4 and Indirect - historic data?

Posted May 24, 2016 11:09 AM

Then, the documentation needs to be updated:

Image displaying how to submit a timesheet

Submit a Timesheet - CA PPM - 14.4 - CA Technologies Documentation

(Optional) Add a Timesheet Row Under an Indirect Category

Your manager can ask you to add rows to a timesheet under an indirect category.

Follow these steps:

1. With your timesheet open, click New Indirect Row.
    2. Select the Charge Codes or Input Type Codes (if applicable).
    3. Save the changes.

NJ

• 3.  Re: 14.4 and Indirect - historic data?

Posted May 24, 2016 11:31 AM

Hmmm - reviewing release notes, do not see mention of Indirect being dropped - wonder if this was planned for 14.4 and got dropped before GA release....

Anyone on 14.4 that can confirm if Indirect is still there or not?  And if still there, can anyone identify if this is still in backlog or planned for next release?

• 4.  Re: 14.4 and Indirect - historic data?
    Best Answer

Posted May 24, 2016 12:17 PM

Here you go Dale_Stockman

Anything else you need to know+

• 5.  Re: 14.4 and Indirect - historic data?

Posted May 24, 2016 12:31 PM

Thanks, Urmas.

Info I had was from a CA resource, back around Feb/Mar time frame, before 14.4 was released.  Do you know/can you say, if this change is planned for next release?

I expect we will still move forward with moving off Indirect, because the feature set is richer on Other Work (security, planning, ....).  But, we've now lost a big stick.  Hoping carrot of  'better features' is enough to keep project going.

• 6.  Re: 14.4 and Indirect - historic data?

Posted May 24, 2016 01:04 PM

Sorry, I don't have any sort of recollection about that in Armstrong or Basie based on the previews this far.

Maybe somebody who got into the beta testing could answer that or you could try asking Brian N.

• 7.  Re: 14.4 and Indirect - historic data?

Posted May 24, 2016 01:46 PM

I think I've got my notes together, now - Indirect hours don't appear in the Jaspersoft DWH - one can't report on them as one would report on other investment types.

And, Crystal Reports goes away in 14.4.

So, in essence, Indirect reporting goes away in 14.4 - but the feature is still there to book to.

Therefore, any suggestions for migrating historic indirect hours to Other Work?

Dale

• 8.  Re: 14.4 and Indirect - historic data?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 24, 2016 01:50 PM

Hi Dale,

Even though DWH is not able to get the information on Indirect time entry, you can still create a report on CA PPM schema to get the information. Hope this clarifies.

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 9.  Re: 14.4 and Indirect - historic data?

Posted May 24, 2016 02:09 PM

Hi Suman,

Yes, understood.  Doing so perpetuates problems/complexities with report design.  However, this might allow us to avoid migrating the historic data from indirect to other work.  The indirect work is not that valuable to the business – its value isn’t zero, but it approaches zero real quick, say after a year.

I’ll put this forward to the team:

-          Future:  All reporting out of DWH with Jaspersoft, with Indirect as Other Work

-          Historic:  Will have an ‘Historic Indirect” report

o   it will look at ‘obsolete’ Indirect data source

o   it will be available for a year

o   then it will be made inactive

A report for ‘Historic Indirect’ should be small effort, vs. large or XL effort for migration.  Also, if value of this indirect is low enough, we ought to ask ourselves, why even collect it in the first place.  Maybe all we need is one “Other Work” instance for this kind of thing, named “I’m not here” – just for project scheduling/availability concerns.

Dale

• 10.  Re: 14.4 and Indirect - historic data?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 24, 2016 01:47 PM

Hi Dale,

Indirect entries are still available in 14.4:

Looks like something that has to be confirmed with Product Management. I'll ping them to get an update for you.

Thanks -Nika