I'm curious to know how others convert a contractor to an employee in Clarity. Do you just change the data for the current resource from external to employee in Clarity or create a new resource setup as an employee? We do use rate matrix, transactions, timesheets and cost plans.
I've been testing out the converting the current resource from an external resource to an employee and it's hasn't been pretty.
1. The cost plan combines the resource external and employee Cost into one line item under the employee. (I understand why Clarity is doing this.)
The weird stuff is:
1. The converted resource's ETC by Period on the task changes from 40/week to 63.33/week.
2. The actuals from the submitted timesheet do not populate on the team tab and on the task the resource logged time against.
At a previous company using financials, we terminated the contractor account, and created a new account for the employee. This prevented the issues you mentioned.
What version of CA PPM are you on? When converting from Contractor to Employee, what attributes do you change, besides Employee Type?
We've done both - convert contractor to employee and close contractor and create new as employee - haven't seen the issues you describe. Also, we are using rate matrix, cost plans. Are you creating cost plans from staff allocations and/or assignments?
We are on 14.3.
I marked the resource Open for Time Entry, changed the Track Mode to PPM, unchecked External, and under Properties/Financial tab, I changed the Resource Class from EXLABOR to Employee. I also enter the end date of their contractor rate in the rate matrix so that Clarity will start picking up their employee rate.
We populate from investment team for the Cost Plan.
I would also update the following fields on the CA Clarity PPM if these were filled in differently for a Contractor: Username, Email ID, Employment Type, Primary Role, Designation, etc. The best practice will be to deactivate the Contractor account and create a new Employee Regular account. This will help to maintain a history of the Contractor resources (Start and End Dates particularly) that have worked with your company.
With the attributes you are changing, not seeing the errors, here, that you are seeing.
I agree with Suhail and will share his comments within our team, as we are being asked to change from best practice to something else.
I opened a ticket with CA to have them look at the issues we were having. I tested it out 2x and got the same results.
Thanks for everyone's responses. We are going to move forward with terminating the contractor and creating a new resource as the employee.