Sorry if this has been posted..I searched by as many key words as I could and did not see it.
14.3 (also in 14.2). When I add custom attributes to the Data warehouse and fun the DW job, they appear in the Adhoc view in the order in which they were added and not alphabetical
If you add fields
A, C F and run the job
then go and select fields B, D and E
run the load DW job
go to create an Ad hoc report and under the domain (project for example), the custom attributes section shows, but when you expand it, the values will show as
A, C, D, B, D, E
Is there a way to get them to show as A, B, C , D, E, F?
Since there is no search field or smart search, it makes it very difficult when you have a lot of custom attributes for users to find the data they want. Also, if you started an Ad hoc report and then choose Add fields, and expand the custom section, it is even harder, since that window is small and can't be expanded to see the full field name. It would help if things were alphabetical by default
Thanks for raising this : it's a known issue with Jaspersoft, that was raised previously with us in Support. This is vanilla behavior of Jaspersoft : they do not sort the items in display by default.
At this moment we will be looking for Jaspersoft to include this functionality in their product. Please feel free to raise a new idea so our Product Management is also aware of the impact and we prioritize this enhancement accordingly with Jaspersoft.
Hope this helps -Nika
Thanks, , odd that it would be designed like that.. it is not logical
I will raise one, if one does not exist, but if Jaspersoft has control over that, then maybe it should go to the Jaspersoft Community? I will check there too.
Looks like the best you can do is use the display option when you select the fields in the Ad hoc reporter. But, that is not sufficient at all to manually move those:)
Thanks Lynn : please do, this will definitely be helpful. The reason I am asking you to raise it here too, is because our Product Management is also working closely with Jaspersoft to prioritize some of the enhancements that are important to our customers.
Idea has been raised:
Collaborate with Jaspersoft to allow the custom attributes in a Domain be listed in alphabetical order for Ad hoc reports
Naturally, the more custom attributes you have the uglier it gets, especially as like all users, you continue to grow, so even if you add them in the perfect order when you roll out, as soon as you create new attributes and need to add them, the issue exists again.
Thanks a lot Lynn : this definitely has my vote! -Nika
Thanks a lot raising the idea. You've got my vote!
But hopefully I can help you to sort the attributes by yourself instead of wait for the official resolution.
Just follow some easy steps below:
1. Export the Domain you want to order:
- login to jaspersoft server as superuser (at http://<your jasperserver>:8080/reportservice)
- Open repository: View/Repository, and navigate to the Domain: (root/Organisations/<your org>/CA PPM/Domains)
- Right click on the domain; Export; Save the ZIP.
2. SORT the attributes in the SCHEMA.
- UNZIP the export.zip file somewhere
- Open the resources/organizations/<ORG NAME>/ca_ppm/domains/<YOUR DOMAIN_files>/schema.xml.data file in your favorite XML or text editor. (I prefer notepad++)
This file represents also the structure and order how the attributes are enlisted in the Fields and Measures pane in the Ad-hoc report
- Copy the xml node of what you want to sort into another XML file. let's call it: "schema_part1.xml"
- Download a small app that can sort you the xml, i.e: Xmlsorter: Xml Sorter - Home
- Use "Sort by specific attribute": label
- Save the sorted node into a file, let say "schema_part2.xml"
- !! Important: Check the fie enconding and change the line ending to Unix style if you use this XmlSorter, otherwise you might get an error.
- Replace the sorted XML code of the Node back to its original schema.xml.data
3. ZIP the domain export folder back to an "import.zip" file with the new schema.xml.data.
4. Using the jaspersoft admin page, import the new zip file
- Manage/Server Settings page
- Import the import.zip
I hope it will also work for you.