Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  How is System Total Cost of Capital used?

Posted Jan 20, 2016 11:59 AM

If we are only using the Financial Summary or detail Cost Plans, how is this field used?  Can someone point me to the proper documentation?  Thanks.

• 2.  Re: How is System Total Cost of Capital used?
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 20, 2016 06:02 PM

Hi  Mark,

Can you please clarify if you are referring to the Annual Total Cost of Capital% field that appears on the Financial Management Defaults page under the Administration>Finance>Setup menu? If yes, then you can find some information about this field in the Set Capital Cost and Reinvestment Rate for the System topic under "Create Financial Summaries" at the following docops sites:

Create Financial Summaries - CA PPM - 14.3 - CA Technologies Documentation

Create Financial Summaries - CA PPM SaaS - 14.3 - CA Technologies Documentation

Let us know if this information does not answer your questions adequately. I am also following up on this with SMEs and will get back to you with any further details that I can find out.

Regards,

Sarmistha

• 3.  Re: How is System Total Cost of Capital used?

Posted Jan 20, 2016 07:44 PM

Hi Mark,

After following up with an SME, I found out that the Total Cost of Capital % field at the system level is used for financial metrics such as NPV. It is not used for cost plans. Please refer to our documentation on financial metrics here: Create Financial Summaries - CA PPM SaaS - 14.3 - CA Technologies Documentation

Check out the topic "Determine the Financial Metrics for Planning".

I hope this helps.

Sarmistha

• 4.  Re: How is System Total Cost of Capital used?

Posted Jan 21, 2016 09:08 AM

I believe the answer, "used in MIRR" calculation, was found in the referenced documents.  Thank you. Sarmistha!  So it is not used in the other ROI, NPV, or IRR.  Agreed?

MIRR

Displays the Modified Internal Rate of Return or the rate used to measure the attractiveness of this investment. Use MIRR as part of a capital budgeting process to rank various alternative investment choices. While IRR assumes the cash flows from an investment are reinvested at the IRR, the MIRR assumes that all cash flows are reinvested at the cost of capital.

Calculation:

This formula illustrates how to calculate MIRR.

• r is the annual interest rate for reinvesting the positive cash flow. You can define this value using the Reinvestment Rate field on the budget properties page of an investment. If this value is not defined for an investment, r is zero.
    • f is the annual finance rate on the capital borrowed for investments. You can define this value using the Total Cost of Capital field on the budget properties page of an investment.

• 5.  Re: How is System Total Cost of Capital used?

Posted Jan 21, 2016 12:38 PM

Hi Mark,

Besides MIRR, the Total Cost of Capital value is also used in the NPV metric to compute the cash flow. This is mentioned in the NPV metric definition in the docs.

Thanks

Sarmistha