Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Chat Transcript - CA PPM Office Hours: A Live Online Chat (December 2015)

• 1.  Chat Transcript - CA PPM Office Hours: A Live Online Chat (December 2015)

Posted Dec 11, 2015 12:39 PM

Miss the December PPM Office Hours - Online Chat? Check out what you missed below and be sure to join us in January for the next session!

from Chris Hackett (CA) to Everyone:

Hi Everyone - We'll be starting in just a few minutes.

OK - We're ready to start!

from Sunil Prasad to Everyone:

what is the best path to do Clarity Upgrade from 13.2 to 14.3? Can we do directly?

from Keri to Everyone:

I am doing role based annual planning

[Q] when populating the supplimental information on a role or resource record that is NOT financially enabled, does those values in trans and res classes get carried over into a cost plan if only grouping attributes are cost type and Role or Resource?

from Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone:

@Keri : yes

@Keri : if the cost plan grouping is transaction class, or resource class (the fields on the financial properties page) , then it will use that data

from Nika Hadzhikidi (CA) to Everyone:

@Sunil, yes you can do direct upgrade from 13.2 to 14.3. All the different releases packages will then apply automatically to your upgrade. Direct upgrade is recommended, since that will ensure you have the latest installer with the latest fixes. The incremental upgrade is only by Support recommendation, and only in situations when you hit multiple different errors.

from Keri to Everyone:

@kathryn, i wasn't going to use trans or res class in the cost plan, but wanted to  make  sure the classes came over from the resource or role

from Keri to Everyone:

for reporting

ok Thanks for the clarifications. One more question, do we need latest 13.2.x patch before upgarde?

@Keri : yes, the data is there, you should be able to pull it for reporting

from Keri to Everyone:

@Kathryn Great, meaning just less for the pm's to add to the cost plan. because they also want department and cost type, so if i don't have  to add the classes thats a little less they have to add in :-)

@Sunil, if you are on 13.2 base version (with no patches applied), then you don't need any patch. Otherwise it depends on the patch version, sometimes another patch level is recommended. You can find this information in Change and Upgrade sections for 14.3. I would recommend you read the Change and Impact Guide for all the versions in between so you are informed of the changes and recommendations. The guides to check are for version 13.3, 14.1, 14.2, 14.3.

ok Thanks.

@Keri : If you want department for a Role, it only comes from the Investment Team 'Staff OBS Unit' field.  Roles do not have Department/Location on financial properties page.  Therefore, if you want a specific department on a Role that is allocated to a team you put it on the team 'Staff OBS Unit' field.  Then if you create a cost plan and group by 'Department' (assuming you put a Department OBS Unit on the Staff OBS Unit field) , the data will get grouped for that role into that Dept.

For any simple UI rule (like make the field read-only or to do some calcualtion) we are using Clarity process, is it any other way to do so? Do we allow any Custom Javascript functions to support all UI Rules/validations?

from Nick Darlington (CA) to Everyone:

@Sunil: There are recent threads on the communities that will help to explain that the validations are asynchronous via processes ( https://communities.ca.com/thread/241744556 ) and there are also Ideas proposed for enabling other forms of 'real time validation' to put your support towards such as this one: https://communities.ca.com/ideas/103045058

@Keri: Cost Type can be used in Cost Plans either from Task Assignment or from Team Allocations : when populating from Task Assignment, you have the option to put specific Cost Type on the Task level.  when populating from Team allocations, you have the ability to enter a 'Capitalization %' value and this will compute the percentage of 'Capital' and put the remaining into 'Operating' cost type.

let me have a look now

from Keri to Everyone:

@Kathryn, I have been doing exactly that, thank you so much. I was selecting grouping attributes, cost type, resource, role, department (also the classes but wanted to get rid of that) . Oh, i was populating from task assignment. should i use team allocations instead?

from Keri to Everyone:

@Kathryn i have been adding the cost type on the  task level.

@Sunil: the threads and ideas pertain to validation of timesheets in particular (one of the biggest request areas for this), for which there are also offerings that may be available from Services to provide that which are referenced in those threads also, so if your need is not timesheet related it may warrant its own Idea being posted

for project plans that use 'department' as a grouping, and you have unfilled roles, then populating by team is the only way to get hours for the unfilled roles grouped by the department otherwise, populating by task you may have a row with a blank department and that would represent the unfilled roles, which may be okay for you ; as long as you know what the functionality is doing

@Nick: I am looking in general way but do we have any document for "hook" with you ? can you please share how can i use it?

@Keri : Do you have department as a column in the matrix that is used to determine rates?  If not, using Task assignments population and using the Department Group is okay and should work ; it will give a blank row for unfilled rows with numbers.  If you use department in matrix for determining rates, and you do not have a default rate, you may not get any numbers on the blank department row.

from Keri to Everyone:

@Kathryn, is the grouping attributes required OOTB?  this client has selected defaults of Cost type, resource, role, trans class, res class and department. so they are required. I did add the  department in the  rate matrix but its * because they will start adding later.

from Keri to Everyone:

@Kathryn, also, i have set up using ETC's for the role, and it does populate the cost plan correctly.

from Keri to Everyone:

@Kathryn in the  cost plans for inflight projects.

from Keri to Everyone:

@Kathryn for planning, we are using Ideas and we are building the cost plan manually

from Keri to Everyone:

@Kathryn is there any write up for role based planning? I found some of the stuff you posted on ca community and have been using that as a guide. thank you BTW

@Keri: That is all that I have. Let me check the DocOps

from Keri to Everyone:

@Kathryn thank you!

@Sunil: The current 'hook' referred to is for timesheets only, and there are no documents available for it that can be shared sorry - it's made as an offering (consultancy) through Services

@Sunil: To initiate getting to that information, I would probably suggest working through your account manager / team

ok fine thanks

from Keri to Everyone:

can a master/sub project be added to portfolios? I would assume yes, just want to verifiy because we want to see some rollups. So, can i add master (subs), idea to the portfolio?

@Keri: the product documentation does not really have something like a use-case or example.  If you have a specific user story and need help to accomplish the goal, we can help you through support.

@Keri: yes - master projects can be added to portfolios

The CA PPM Product Survey is Live – Rank Us, Rate Us, Let Your Voice Be Heard!  https://communities.ca.com/thread/241743772

Any more questions for the team?

from Keri to Everyone:

@Kathryn and all the subs will also be rolled up? to get what if's. Is there a good portlet/report that would show this roll up? I was looking at the PMO addin reports/portlets

from Keri to Everyone:

@Kathryn, I believe that each have to have a  cost plan, correct?

@Keri: checking something

I have a sub-object of project and want no one can delete any of those sub-object records? is it any way i can control. The project Edit option allows sub-object record delete as well.

from Connie Fu (CA) to Everyone:

@Sunil what are some of the records that a user can delete from a sub project when this user doens't have explicit edit right to the sub project?

@Sunil: I might not understand the setup fully, but is that happening/possible even when you have given only View rights for the subobject instances?  Are these instances that the person created?

@Keri : in the v13.2+ Portfolios functionality ; it is not rolling up sub-projects

from Srini Venkat to Everyone:

Is it correct that we cannot change the system currency from its initial setting?

@Srini : correct

@Nick..a PM can craete new record and edit ..i just want he/she should not get Delete button at the list page. how can i control that

from Keri to Everyone:

@Kathryn so how do i account for master/sub roll ups? I want to see my ideas, in-flight projects (master/sub)... right now they are using Programs and that can't be in a portfolio, correct?

@Keri: there is the Hierarchy tab

Thanks Kathryn. What we are trying to accomplish is CHF as the currency in the Billing currency view ... currently it is showing as USD

in the cost plans

@Sunil: There isn't a separation between delete and edit.. there is another idea for this: https://communities.ca.com/ideas/103017974

@Srini: Billing Currency comes from Entities ; that is editable. Also comes from Project financial properties page and that is editable

Thanks ... how about investment currency?

from Joshua Leone to Everyone:

@sunil.. You can achieve this via a CSS theme trick. By changing the style sheet to hide the button. You can download the instructions here: http://regoxchange.com/show/604/

from Keri to Everyone:

@Kathryn you mean in Portfolio.

@Keri : Hierarchy Tab in the Investment or Program

@Sunil, if you are concerned about the PM being able to delete the record, you can perhaps advise them not to do it, and then enable Audit for the object. This will allow you to see who did the delete.

@Srini: Investment Currency uses the default set on the Entity HOME Currency field

from Ramana to Everyone:

what is the maximum number of custom attributes can be created on an object?

from Keri to Everyone:

@Kathryn, but we can't add Idea to Programs

Thanks Kathryn

@Joshue..that i know but don't want to change any server Class/file. anyway, i am trying this with Trigger to control deletion. Thanks.

from Joshua Leone to Everyone:

@sunil  This isn't changing server files.  It is changing the UI theme.  Completely supported.

from Keri to Everyone:

@Kathryn client is using Programs, and want to add  Ideas, and that's not possible. So, i was trying to find a better solution, possibly master/sub and then add to a portfolio the projects (master/sub) and Idea

@Nika. well that option would require so much admin work . I will see.

@Joshue.. ok if this is the case i will see.

Is there a way to configure the project dependencies page to add additional fields - specifically, we want to be able to capture the details of the dependencies - in terms of # users impacted, technical impact level, additional details of the impact (test) etc. If it is not currently possible, is there any such functionality in the works for a future release?

from jryan to Everyone:

in our current setup, a project finish date can end on a weekend but I am not able to schedule a task to end on Saturday or Sunday.  Can I change that via a configuration?

Thank you everyone for joining! We're finishing up the final questions for today. See everyone in the new year. Happy Holidays!

@Keri : you should be able to add Idea Investment to a Program. Go to Program, Hierarchy page, click 'Add Child' and filter for 'Idea' type.

@Srini: sounds like a good idea!  please post into the communities and we will look for it and vote

@Ramana: The number that a given system can handle depends on the database and your environment, however the documentation will state that 100 custom attributes are recommended as a limit

@Ramana: Reference: https://docops.ca.com/ca-ppm/14-3/reference/ca-ppm-studio-development/ca-ppm-studio-objects-and-attributes

@Srini Don't think the dependencies page can be customized, but I will check further. if there is a way to add custom fields I will post on the user community

@Ramana: "Important! The product supports up to 500 custom attributes for each object. However, we recommend that you do not assign more than 100 custom attributes to a single custom object. A high number of custom attributes can result in performance issues and the potential failure of subsequent upgrades. Consider creating a subobject rather than assigning many custom attributes to a single object. "

from Keri to Everyone:

@Kathryn, really? wow, let me try that. I thought we couldn't... anyhoo.. thank you for all your help. if any more documentation is found for role planning, can you please send it to me?

from Ramana to Everyone:

@Nick: thank you

@Keri: I will research and see if I can post more tips in the community on role-based planning.  Follow me on Communities : https://communities.ca.com/people/Kathryn_Ellis

Thanks again for joining everyone! See you in the New Year!

@Jryan you may be able to do this by modifying the calendar to mark Saturday and/or Sunday as working days. Test it in non prod since modifying calendar will cause time slicing to regenerate a lot of data and can cause performance to slow down for jobs and some UI activities

from jryan to Everyone:

you missed my question

from jryan to Everyone:

ooops..there you go...thansk

from Keri to Everyone:

@Kathryn thank you and I am following you!! :-)

from Keri to Everyone:

@support, thank you so much for everyones help Happy Holidays!!

Happy Holidays!!!

Happy Holidays

Merry Christmas to all!

from Keri to Everyone:

Merry Christmas!!

See you in the community

• 2.  Re: Chat Transcript - CA PPM Office Hours: A Live Online Chat (December 2015)

Posted Dec 11, 2015 02:25 PM

Thank you fo posting this Chris_Hackett