Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Best way to update thousands of task ids.

Posted Dec 17, 2015 01:01 PM

I am using CA PPM 13.3.0 and we have an effort to update over 150 thousand tasks manually, to fix id issues that happened in the best. I.e. change task id 7000.1 to 7000.10. At this time, we are filtering for all tasks and manually updating line by line. This will take weeks to complete given the total number we have to go through, so does anyone have a better way, possibly XOG, to accomplish this?

Thank you

• 2.  Re: Best way to update thousands of task ids.

Posted Dec 17, 2015 02:37 PM

1. Contact CA support/services through your account manager and get script to do that in the database (assuming you are on premise would allow you to run that script)

2 . Try doing that project by project in OBW

3. Forget the ID for the current projects and create a new custom field with the ID you want.

4. Outsource that to a lot of person not minding doing it manually.

My recollection is that in XOGing a new task ID means a new task and no opportunity to change that.

• 3.  Re: Best way to update thousands of task ids.

Posted Dec 17, 2015 03:16 PM

Thank you urmas

We are currently using option 4 as we were not aware of other means, but I will go ahead and try getting help from support as you mentioned. I am not aware on how to do what you suggested on item 2, and for item 3, I don't believe that will be possible in our setup due to integration on multiple other systems.

Thanks

• 4.  Re: Best way to update thousands of task ids.

Posted Dec 17, 2015 04:52 PM

I can feel your pain. The first option would give the least pain.

If you create a portlet which is based on the task object you can edit the task ID in the portlet and set the option to display 50 rows that might make it a little bit faster.

As you have so many tasks you must sue project filter and set the portlet to display results only after you filter.

Basically the option 2 would be the similar but would open one project at a time in Open Workbench in a custom view with the task ID and task name. The benefit of that would be that if you can generate the new ID's in Excel you can paste all of them to the OWB view while in Clarity there is not grid paste in portlets only in cost plans in newer versions.

A sample of the task portlet

In this case the task ID is autonumbered so it is not editable, but the task name is editable.

• 5.  Re: Best way to update thousands of task ids.

Posted Dec 17, 2015 04:53 PM

The only viable option is an update statement due to the fact that TaskID field is non-mandatory field and XOG doesn't allow for using the internal id (which is kind of a bummer if one wants to update a given object code!).

Reference:

https://communities.ca.com/ideas/103021868

https://communities.ca.com/message/241803480#241803480

https://communities.ca.com/ideas/107094649

V/r,

Gene