Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Timesheet templates and self-approval

Posted Mar 16, 2015 05:09 PM

We are looking to extend time reporting requirements to our entire IT organization, including directors. However, we need to make it easy for them to both report time and approve timesheets. I'm curious what other organizations have done, and if anyone has expereince with timesheet templates and self-approval. What has worked well, what hasn't? What are your best practices for time reporting and approval? Thanks

• 2.  Re: Timesheet templates and self-approval

Posted Mar 17, 2015 05:10 AM

You can have an auto-approval process based on which users you want the auto-approval to work for

NJ

• 3.  Re: Timesheet templates and self-approval

Posted Mar 17, 2015 05:15 AM

Also, I guess, this post should be moved to Clarity PPM community, if this is CA Clarity PPM related

NJ

• 4.  Re: Timesheet templates and self-approval

Posted Mar 17, 2015 08:22 AM

Hi Kim.

I've implemented at an organization where leadership didn't do timesheets like the team members - this does not build esprit de corps. I've implemented at an organization where admin assistants and other delegates could enter time for leadership - this worked better than no timesheets. At my current organization, leadership enters time but they have the ability to approve their own time. This has worked well. Keeps the esprit de corps that this is just an expectation of our jobs. Keeps the leaders better engaged in the tool reviewing and approving their people's time, etc.

Of course, no one is perfect. We keep a 'backstop' job that auto approves any submitted timesheet greater than 10 weeks old (our rolling time periods are 9. 4 in history, current week, 4 in future). This keeps the data dirty long enough for all to see the problem and have the necessary discussion and still get the time in the bank. The backstop job also marks the timesheet approved by admin, and we have an 'approved by admin' portlet that allows anyone to mine for time that was left unapproved and the manager that did the left-un-approving. This ecosystem works well. We're above 99% and I've never lifted a finger to tell anyone to get their timesheets in.

• 5.  Re: Timesheet templates and self-approval

Posted Mar 17, 2015 09:18 AM

This thread has been moved to the CA PPM community.

Thanks!

Melanie

• 6.  Re: Timesheet templates and self-approval

Posted Mar 17, 2015 10:37 AM

Clarity Timsheet are filled inorder to track the progress of the project against the scheule and cost(Posted hours * Tariff).

In your organization do you plan directors and leadership team's work also on the project, and they are allocated to the project, assigned to tasks??

Another way of doing it you can hav e procedural agreement that one role is created for the leadership team and the allocation of the role can be multiplied with the rate inorder to get the cost of them on the project.

Using timesheets for leadership team would also of manual work for them in clarity which can be used for some other productive thing .