Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Non-billable hours are being charged against the Project Cost Plan

Posted Jun 30, 2015 04:42 PM

We want to be able to track hours worked on a project but not have the cost of those hours hit the Project Cost Plan. Instead, the end result is the non-billable hours submitted on the timesheet are not hitting the non-billable column on the Rate Matrix that has $0 for the rate.

Here's how I set it up:

1.  Assign Financially enabled resource to a Project task and select "Non-Billable" for the Charge Code.

non_billable_task.png

2. Created a nonbillable row on the rate matrix.

nonbillable_rate_matrix.png

3.  Submitted and posted a timesheet.  Verified the Charge Code was nonbillable.

timesheet.png

4.  Applied the Post to WIP and ran the financial jobs.

5. Check the Cost Plan and it created a separate line item called NON-BILLABLE but it still created charges. The last test I ran for the month of June it looks like it's hitting my all "*" column in the Rate Matrix that has a rate of $1.  I don't know what it's doing that. 

Cost Plan.png

rate_matrix2.png

The expected result is to have no  charges for the non-billable hours.  Can anyone help me with what I'm doing wrong?  I'm really not sure why it's pulling the wrong rate.

Thanks.

• 2.  Re: Non-billable hours are being charged against the Project Cost Plan

Posted Jul 01, 2015 02:34 AM

Can you check which rate matrix the project is referring to ?

NJ

• 3.  Re: Non-billable hours are being charged against the Project Cost Plan

Posted Jul 01, 2015 02:35 AM

And in that rate matrix, check the row for the non-billable charge code

NJ

• 4.  Re: Non-billable hours are being charged against the Project Cost Plan

Posted Jul 01, 2015 08:36 AM

Hi NJ,

We only have one rate matrix.  I'm sure what you're referring to about checking the row for the non-billable charge code.  I only have one non-billable row, all the other rows have an "*" for the Charge Code. I'm assuming this one row should catch anything that's labeled non-billable.  Right?

nonbillable_rate_matrix.png

Thanks,

Garrett

• 5.  Re: Non-billable hours are being charged against the Project Cost Plan

Posted Jul 01, 2015 09:22 AM

And this one is tagged to the project financial ?

NJ

• 6.  Re: Non-billable hours are being charged against the Project Cost Plan

Posted Jul 01, 2015 09:41 AM

Are you referring to this Labor Matrix section on a project?  It's not selected because we only have one rate matrix. All the other transactions on the cost plan work just fine with it like this.

labor matrix.png

• 7.  Re: Non-billable hours are being charged against the Project Cost Plan

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 01, 2015 11:13 AM

Go to Home, Posted Transaction Review portlet.  Filter for this specific investment, resource and date.

Check to see what rate is on the actual transaction.

I see you have 'Resource' as a column in the matrix.  IF you have a row for this specific resource and the charge code field is for all values, then perhaps that is where the $1 rate is coming from.  The Cost Plan will show the data that is on the PPA_WIP and PPA_WIP_VALUES tables.

If the rate is wrong on the actual WIP transaction, make an adjustment there , approve the adjustment and then open the cost plan again

• 8.  Re: Non-billable hours are being charged against the Project Cost Plan
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 01, 2015 01:18 PM

Thanks for showing me that portlet Kathryn.

Now that I look at my Rate Matrix some more I think I'm having a hierarchical issue.  I was assuming the project was using the all "*" line in the rate matrix but I just realized I have other lines that are $1 and Clarity is matching the Resource Class field before the Charge Code field.  I going to move the charge code infront of the Resource Class and I think that will fix it.

• 9.  Re: Non-billable hours are being charged against the Project Cost Plan

Posted Jul 01, 2015 02:34 PM

That was the issue.  I moved the Charge Code up in front of some of the other columns and it worked.  I got $0 for non-billable hours on a project.

Thanks for all your input.

• 10.  Re: Non-billable hours are being charged against the Project Cost Plan

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 01, 2015 04:17 PM

Yes, the Rate Matrix column configuration acts like a funnel --- moving through the columns from left to right.

Filtering by Date, then column 1, then column 2 and so on through the configuration.