Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Changes Not Reflected to users with other Locale and language

Posted Jul 02, 2014 08:02 AM

Hi All,

We are in 13.0 (Version/Build 13.0.1.0102 06 0012) with Oracle as database.

Presently in our organization we have two set of users

1) Clarity users with English Language settings.

2) Clarity users with German Language settings.

This classification will  increase in near future.

Whenever we Admins with language setting English do any changes /create  pages ,Portlet

pages or custom changes  .The changes are not reflecting for the users who

are in different locales (Who has different language settings).

As a work around presently we manually do the changes twice first in English

language and then in German language(by impersonating admin account with

German language setting ).

I have contacted CA support and was told this is default way of Clarity's working.

Is there any way so that this can be handled automatically so that we can avoid doing things manually(duplicate work)  .

Regards,

Supriya Chakraborty

• 2.  Re: Changes Not Reflected to users with other Locale and language

Posted Jul 02, 2014 02:42 PM

Yes that is the way that the NLS system works.  When you create a new 'thing' then the name will propagate across all languages, but if you subsequently change the name of a 'thing' then only the current language is changed (you can not reasonably expect the system to translate what you have just changed the value to into multiple languages auto-magically).

However you should not have to change your admin's language in order to get to set the alternative languages - there should be a small icon next to the 'thing's entry field that will popup a screen with all the languages against it for that 'thing' ; and you can quickly set the alternative values in there very easily:

translate.jpg

• 3.  Re: Changes Not Reflected to users with other Locale and language

Posted Jul 04, 2014 07:18 AM

Thanks for the clarification Dave.

Regards,
    Supriya Chakraborty

• 4.  Re: Changes Not Reflected to users with other Locale and language
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 04, 2014 07:30 AM

Hi Supriya,

You can use the translation option to input different terms for different locales. Please try to use the same wherever that option is available, as I see that in some cases, this option might not be available.

But this is the most safest and efficient way to do that as I agree with Dave that we should not keep changing the Admin's locale for doing such minor changes in Clarity. Hope that helps.

Please mark the post as Answered if we have provided you all the necessary details. That would help other Clarity users to refer to this post. Thanks a lot for raising the concern.

Regards,

Abhisek

• 5.  Re: Changes Not Reflected to users with other Locale and language

Posted Jul 08, 2014 04:53 AM

If there are items that do not have the translate option then the only way to change the labels is to switch the language of the admin to the language in question and to edit the text.

If that is something that can be or needs to be XOGed out you can edit the XML file. If there are non-ascii NLS character the encoding of the XML file has to be UTF-8.

• 6.  Re: Changes Not Reflected to users with other Locale and language

Posted Jul 08, 2014 05:04 AM

For bulk updates (new development) then I tend to do it all in the XML ; when I have built something, I'll XOG it out and then spend a little time editting the XML to align all the display-labels with the eventual (English) lableI that I have settled on (which is often not the one I started with) and then XOG it back in. I just find that quicker than using the GUI for bulk-updates.

If I am just updating a single field, I'll do it in the GUI though.