Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Identify where Error message comes from

• 1.  Identify where Error message comes from

Posted Jun 18, 2015 08:54 AM

Hi guys,

I've got a question because couldn't able to find from which xbl/xml/xsl file could become my error message.

It's important to say that I don't want to solve the error but I only want to modify error message - to be more familiar and specific, so not only "System error"

For this purpose I'd like to identify the source of this message. Could someone help me with identifying?

My steps so far:

- "created" an error in Clarity:

Error_msg.JPG

- checked error logs and found the error:

Log_file.JPG

- according to found SQL in logs, I've found the xbl file which SQL comes from:

XBL_file.JPG

Result: Didn't find error message so far (any other xbl files links I couldn't find there) .

In case I can send you complete xbl file.

Your help is very appreciated. Thanks

Matej

• 2.  Re: Identify where Error message comes from

Posted Jun 18, 2015 11:24 AM

Have you checked the "messages_en.properties" file ?

Check this -

How to display custom Error Message in Clarity

https://communities.ca.com/message/97989586#97989586

NJ

• 3.  Re: Identify where Error message comes from

Posted Jun 18, 2015 11:56 AM

Ummm ; are you trying to change that generic error message to read something meaningful for that particular query failure, or are you trying to change that generic error message to me more meaningful in general terms?

(the generic eror text appears to be in the properties file NJ mentioned

internal=System error. Contact system administrator.

)

• 4.  Re: Identify where Error message comes from

Posted Jun 19, 2015 04:13 AM

Hi Navzjoshi,

Thanks a lot, I've just checked properties file and there a few System error. Contact system administrator. lines,

so I've to find out which is my case. But I think it's a good point, Thanks.

@Dave: I mean this should be used only to a particular query failure, so not general.

Will post my finding/checks later.

Thanks both,

Matej

• 5.  Re: Identify where Error message comes from

Posted Jun 19, 2015 04:20 AM

OK, my point was that this looks like just the generic error (i.e. that "internal" one) - I don't believe that there is a specific error for specific queries (or at least not one that has already been supplied) ; its essentially the "unhandled exception" error.

(I'm saying you are not going to find the answer I think )

• 6.  Re: Identify where Error message comes from

Posted Jul 02, 2015 03:39 AM

Hi Dave,

I've tried to adjust messages_en file, but as you said, this error was a "global internal" type which I couldn't change.

So I've focused on creating a new error specification in messages_en file and tried to put this message to resposible xsl file. However I was not successfull.

Could you please give me some advice how this could be successfully done? Generally I'd like to catch the error in xsl piece of code and then write it on the screen according message loaded from message_en file.

This is error I've catched in app-ca.log file and decided to find underlined piece of code in xbl/xsl files:

App-log-error.JPG

I've found projmgr.TaskAssignResAssignClick in resourceODFWMD.xml file where I think there are also many other functions and it's kind of a list I assume:

resourceODFWMD.JPG

The I've also found file taskAssignments.xsl where is this code more detailed. I've tried to add message there with specification in messages_en, but nothing happened.

taskAssignments.JPG

In messages_en I've added error specification:

messages_en.JPG

So the question is: can be this error handled somehow specifically? (means by my own err message). Many thanks for your inputs

Matej

• 7.  Re: Identify where Error message comes from

Posted Jul 02, 2015 04:44 AM

Sorry, what I've really been trying to say all along is the answer to your last question; "can be this error handled somehow specifically? (means by my own err message)"

and my answer is "I don't think so" - because the error that is being raised is a generic one ; i.e. CA have not written code to trap that specific error and therefore you have not way of providing custom-text.

[ The only solution is to write custom code in the Clarity source-code files (the files you have been looking at) , but this is all very-unsupported and not something I would even know how to do. ]

• 8.  Re: Identify where Error message comes from

Posted Jul 02, 2015 05:15 AM

Hi Dave,

That's a pitty... I assumed error messages can be modified....

Is there any idea for new versions of Clarity includes this changes that I can vote for?

Thanks

• 9.  Re: Identify where Error message comes from

Posted Jul 02, 2015 05:29 AM

Errors message that CA have specific code to handle and raise the error message could be modified (still unsupported though) by changing entries in those "messages_en" files - but a generic message is "generic", so there is no specific code to trap it ; this is what the responses in this thread have been saying all along

I have no idea about the "ideas" - have a search?

• 10.  Re: Identify where Error message comes from

Posted Jul 02, 2015 05:41 AM

Ok, I meant if this error could be also set to specified, not generic...but seems it cannot.

Ideas - This is about Pop-up messages - UNDER REVIEW:

https://communities.ca.com/ideas/103026192#

And this is relevant name but not the content (jus adjust one message in messages_en file)

https://communities.ca.com/ideas/103023474

So for my assumption - create complete new options for classifying messages types/ids etx. there is not precise idea.

But in case of pop-up messages will be implemented, this shoudl be enough for user I think...

Thanks Dave,

Matej.

• 11.  Re: Identify where Error message comes from

Posted Jul 02, 2015 10:20 AM

If a generic error is being produced for something that seems to have a non-generic cause (i.e. there are distinct steps that can cause it to happen repeatedly), then please report these things as Support issues, and once verified a defect can be logged so that code might be added to detect this and produce a more valued message and/or direction in future.