Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Reassigning OBS security via XOG

Posted Nov 03, 2014 10:46 AM

I have a process that builds out a resource management OBS and then XOG's it in.

Part of the OBS assigns OBS level security to managers like this:

<unit code="B66486" name="B66486 -DOE, JOHN">

<associatedObject objectCode="A71847" objectType="resource" />

<associatedObject objectCode="A71960" objectType="resource" />

<associatedObject objectCode="A71976" objectType="resource" />

<associatedObject objectCode="A72170" objectType="resource" />

<associatedObject objectCode="A72200" objectType="resource" />

<associatedObject objectCode="B80116" objectType="resource" />

<associatedObject objectCode="B83727" objectType="resource" />

<associatedObject objectCode="C48939" objectType="resource" />

<Security>

<UserSecurity rightCode="ResourceApproveTime" rightMode="OBS_UNIT_AND_CHILDREN" userName="B66486" />

<UserSecurity rightCode="ResourceEditCalendar" rightMode="OBS_UNIT_AND_CHILDREN" userName="B66486" />

<UserSecurity rightCode="ResourceHardBook" rightMode="OBS_UNIT_AND_CHILDREN" userName="B66486" />

<UserSecurity rightCode="ResourceEnterTime" rightMode="OBS_UNIT_AND_CHILDREN" userName="B66486" />

</Security>

</unit>

And this generally works.  The user JOHN DOE gets OBS unit and descendant rights to the B66486 - DOE, JOHN node.

Now, we want to add a right so that the user can have full edit rights over the resource.  So, I added the following node to the Security section:

<UserSecurity rightCode="ResourceEditFull" rightMode="OBS_UNIT_AND_CHILDREN" userName="B66486" />

But when I re--run the XOG, the Resource Edit right does NOT get applied to the resource.

Now, I do have the complete="true" option set in the obs element:

<obs description="Resource Manager OBS" code="BBT_RESMGR_OBS" name="Resource Management" isSecurity="true" complete="true">

When I run it, the XOG stats show that 317 resources were updated with 0 failures, but the processing time is way too fast - like 1 second, whereas if the OBS has to be built from scratch, it takes about 4 minutes.

So what else am I missing here?

I'd like the OBS structure to be completely rebuilt so that it catches all of the changes when it runs.

• 2.  Re: Reassigning OBS security via XOG

Posted Nov 03, 2014 11:17 AM

Can you remove the rights and re-add them?

Also, have you checked this ?

https://communities.ca.com/message/100516969#100516969

NJ

• 3.  Re: Reassigning OBS security via XOG

Posted Nov 03, 2014 01:34 PM

Manually removing the rights defeats the purpose of what we are trying to do.

If I blow away the OBS and rebuild it from the script the additonal rights come in. 

Also using the complete=true flag will in fact rebuild the OBS structure itself but does not update the security rights. 

I tested changing my resource manager to someone else and re-ran the process and the OBS updated to move me under the new person, but DID not update the security rights attached to that person.

• 4.  Re: Reassigning OBS security via XOG

Posted Nov 18, 2014 03:56 AM

Were you able to find a solution for this ?

Would be great if you can share the solution

NJ

• 5.  Re: Reassigning OBS security via XOG
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 18, 2014 07:57 AM

It looks like this is a bug in 13.3 that affects large OBS's with several levels.  It doesn't seem to be an issue when you have a simple 1 or 2 level OBS but mine is 10 levels.

I did find a workaround however!

You have to first uncheck the option to use the OBS for Access Rights and then in your XOG set isSecurity=true to reapply the use for access rights.

Programaticaly, I am doing this via a stored procedure as I copied the code from the core XML files - there are 3 SQL statements that need to be executed to remove OBS security:

UPDATE prj_obs_types

SET is_security = 0,

last_updated_by = 1,

last_updated_date = GETDATE()

WHERE id = [OBS TYPE ID]

DELETE FROM cmn_sec_assgnd_right

WHERE instance_obs_type_id = [OBS TYPE ID]

DELETE FROM cmn_sec_assgnd_right

WHERE (instance_id IN (SELECT id FROM prj_obs_units WHERE type_id = [OBS TYPE ID]) and instance_type in

( select lookup_code from cmn_lookups where lookup_type = 'OBS_UNIT_ASSOCIATION' ) ) or (principal_id IN (SELECT id FROM prj_obs_units WHERE type_id = [OBS TYPE ID] 

) and principal_type in

( select lookup_code from cmn_lookups where lookup_type = 'OBS_UNIT_ASSOCIATION' ) )

This is my own workaround and not an official one from CA Support though I did show it to a CA tech person that is working with us on our implementation and he seemed to think it should work.

My testing has been positive so far - basically I call my SP that handles these 3 SQL updates and then proceed to XOG in the new file and it works as I expected.

• 6.  Re: Reassigning OBS security via XOG

Posted Nov 18, 2014 11:18 PM

Thanks for sharing this

NJ