Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Deleted task with actual cost

Posted May 11, 2011 06:52 PM
    Hi,
    We have a situation where one of or schedulers have a deleted task in MSP.As you all know if you delete a task from MSP that has actuals it appends to the bottom of the plan.so I guess at some point in time the timesheet actual was reverted and it 0 out the task but it didn't 0 out the actual cost.
    Does anyone know why it's doing this.the issue is the cost is rolling out to the top n skewing the numbers. Any help is much appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Deleted task with actual cost

Posted May 12, 2011 08:56 AM
    Hello,
    Sorry...my co-worker just reminded me your question is about cost. I'll keep my part below...since labor costs are associated with hours. Make sure people realize actual hours will not be removed by simply deleting a task. We don't do costs, but I'll look into it here today...for we use OWB, and see if cost sticks around too.

Original response....
    The situation you mention happens in MSP, Open Workbench & Clarity. You cannot delete a task that has Actual hours posted to it.
    When you 'delete' a task with Actual hrs, it will remove any remaining ETCs and move the task to the bottom of the WBS under a new phase called Deleted Tasks. It will always keep all actual hrs posted.

The tool is working correctly. We don't want time 'disappearing'. Effort was applied to that task...it needs to stay.
    If you want to totally delete the task, the person who entered the Actual hours can go back to that time period's timesheet, remove the hours from the task you want to delete AND re-enter that time to another task in the project.

Hope this helps.
    Lisa

• 3.  RE: Deleted task with actual cost

Posted May 12, 2011 09:31 AM
    hello Lisa,

I agree and I am aware of the deleted task with actuals behave in MSP. What is weird is even after the resource 0 ing out from the timesheet. The actual cost is still sitting out there. the actual hrs are gone but not the cost. Thanks for your response.

lisa_kollin wrote:

Hello,
    Sorry...my co-worker just reminded me your question is about cost. I'll keep my part below...since labor costs are associated with hours. Make sure people realize actual hours will not be removed by simply deleting a task. We don't do costs, but I'll look into it here today...for we use OWB, and see if cost sticks around too.

Original response....
    The situation you mention happens in MSP, Open Workbench & Clarity. You cannot delete a task that has Actual hours posted to it.
    When you 'delete' a task with Actual hrs, it will remove any remaining ETCs and move the task to the bottom of the WBS under a new phase called Deleted Tasks. It will always keep all actual hrs posted.

The tool is working correctly. We don't want time 'disappearing'. Effort was applied to that task...it needs to stay.
    If you want to totally delete the task, the person who entered the Actual hours can go back to that time period's timesheet, remove the hours from the task you want to delete AND re-enter that time to another task in the project.

Hope this helps.
    Lisa

• 4.  RE: Deleted task with actual cost

Posted May 12, 2011 03:06 PM
    Just a little update...
    I did a couple test cases in OWB. When there are no longer actual hours on a deleted task (i.e. the people removed them from a posted timesheet)...the actual costs are also removed. So, no hours or costs showed in OWB.

Looking like a problem with MSP???

• 5.  RE: Deleted task with actual cost

Posted Jul 17, 2011 10:01 PM
    Hi all,

I have a situation where even though the actual hours that were posted on the timesheets for Task A have all been adjusted to other tasks on the project, (ie Task A now has zero hours), and the task has been deleted, the ACWP field is still displaying with dollars in Clarity, and adding additional cost in the WBS view where I have a cost aggregation, for example. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,
    Sue