Symantec IGA

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Integrate Identity Manager with CA API Developer Portal

• 1.  Integrate Identity Manager with CA API Developer Portal

Posted Apr 07, 2020 09:09 AM
    Hi Friends

We need to integrate Identity Manager with CA API Developer Portal . We need to provision IDM users in API Developer Portal.
    I don't see Endpoint Type for API Developer Portal.
    Neither do I find any documentation or link for integration steps.

Could someone please give me an idea of how this integration can be done. Thanks

Regards,
    Jaspreet

• 2.  RE: Integrate Identity Manager with CA API Developer Portal

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 07, 2020 09:20 AM
    Hi Jaspreet,

This will depend on what user store you're using for authenticator in API Developer Portal. For instance, if you're using an LDAP directory, you would then create a connector using Connector Xpress as outlined here: http://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/layer7-identity-and-access-management/identity-management-and-governance-connectors/1-0/connectors/dynamic-connectors-connector-xpress/connector-xpress.html

------------------------------
    Mike Berthold
    Solution Architect

• 3.  RE: Integrate Identity Manager with CA API Developer Portal

Posted Apr 07, 2020 09:31 AM
    Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I too was thinking about this possibility and asked API Developer team to check the same.
    If it would be LDAP, it will be straight forward.

If API Developer Portal supports other user stores too in addition to LDAP?

Regards
    Jaspreet

• 4.  RE: Integrate Identity Manager with CA API Developer Portal
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 07, 2020 09:33 AM
    Yes, it supports (as outlined here https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/layer7-api-management/api-developer-portal/4-5/set-up-and-maintenance/configure-authentication-schemes.html ):

-AD
    -LDAP
    -SiteMinder
    -SAML
    -Internal DB (this would also be something you could use Connector Xpress to create a connector for).

Mike Berthold
    Solution Architect

• 5.  RE: Integrate Identity Manager with CA API Developer Portal

Posted Apr 14, 2020 08:42 AM
    Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply. 
    I discussed this option with client. API Developer team don't want to do any changes or additional work on API Developer side.

They want IDM team to use APIs to provision users in API Developer Portal. Below is the link
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/layer7-api-management/api-developer-portal/4-3-1/publishers/portal-api-papi.html 

I see , We can programmatically access key API Portal  entities that are exposed as RESTful resources using the Portal API.
    Can you help me with developing custom connector for Rest Web services.

Regards
    Jaspreet

• 6.  RE: Integrate Identity Manager with CA API Developer Portal

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 14, 2020 09:10 AM
    Hi Jaspreet,

Since the API Developer Portal uses REST-based JSON, you can start by trying to use the SCIM connector (which supports REST-based JSON), documentation here: http://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/layer7-identity-and-access-management/identity-management-and-governance-connectors/1-0/connectors/other-connectors/scim-connector.html

If that proves too limiting, you can also try leveraging the API Gateway itself as part of a new custom connector: http://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/layer7-identity-and-access-management/identity-management-and-governance-connectors/1-0/connectors/web-services.html

I haven't had experience creating a connector for the Portal, so if anyone else has, please feel free to reply with your experience to help Jaspreet along.

Thanks,
    Mike

Mike Berthold
    Solution Architect

• 7.  RE: Integrate Identity Manager with CA API Developer Portal

Posted Apr 17, 2020 03:54 AM
    Hi Mike

Thanks for reply. But Its very confusing. Unable to understand.

In IDM version 12.6, there used to be sample connectors available in Installer package. Those were placed under folder Connector Server Samples as a zip file.
    One of the sample connectors was sdkws. We can use it to integerate with SOAP based webservice application.

You suggested two options:
    1. SCIM: I don't know what SCIM is. and how its linked to web service.
    2. Web Service: In tech docs, If I navigate to Web Service Connector, it talks about API Gateway instead of talking about Web Service. Its very confusing. So now Broadcom provides web service connector only for CA API Gateway? what if we have some custom application based on web service. then we need to use SCIM?

Can you please give me some background of how things changed from 12.6 to 14.2 regarding developing custom connectors and especially about web service connector.

Regards
    Jaspreet

• 8.  RE: Integrate Identity Manager with CA API Developer Portal

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 17, 2020 09:08 AM
    Hi Jaspreet,

SCIM is the System for Cross-domain Identity Management, which uses a standardized API through REST in either JSON or XML format. See more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_for_Cross-domain_Identity_Management

The two options are:

SCIM Connector - this is much like the LDAP or DB connectors in that you leverage Connector Xpress to map attributes to create a specific connector for a SCIM aware system. Since the API Portal exposes REST-based APIs using JSON for user management, this is an option to try. This would be the quickest and easiest to test.

API Gateway Connector - this is a more flexible option that also requires you to leverage Connector Xpress to map attributes to create a connector that would then communicate with the API Gateway (in this case acting as a Connector Server), which would have policies in place to take the data and then communicate with an external solution. There are several out-of-the-box examples such as the one for Office 365. Do not confuse this with a specific connector for API Portal, of which there is none. You will need experience with both Connector Xpress and API Gateway policies to pursue this option.

As I mentioned, these are ideas - I have not tested these. Your best course of action is to first use something like Postman to determine the APIs and JSON format you need to use until you are successful in doing these tasks using APIs. Once you have those, then try the SCIM option (documentation provided above) to create a connector for the API Portal. 

Another option would be to reach out to your account team to see if you can obtain professional services to assist you. 

Thanks, 
    Mike

Mike Berthold
    Solution Architect

• 9.  RE: Integrate Identity Manager with CA API Developer Portal

Posted Apr 17, 2020 09:24 AM
    Hi Mike

Thanks for helping clearing my doubts,

1. I was also doing analysis after posting query. And I come to the conclusion that we can use SCIM based connector for any application which provides REST Web service APIs to manage that application's users. Am I correct?
    (As in API Developer Portal , they provide REST APIs so we can use SCIM connector)

2. I see, talking about any application which has user operations and which REST service. We can use terms REST and SCIM interchangeably. SCIM protocol is built on top of REST but specifically for user operations.
    That may be the reason,  its named as SCIM connector instead of REST connector. Am I correct?

Regards
    Jaspreet

• 10.  RE: Integrate Identity Manager with CA API Developer Portal

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 17, 2020 09:40 AM
    Hi Jaspreet,

Yes, you have it right. The SCIM connector is so named because it is meant for those endpoints that offer SCIM, which is REST-based. I am not sure if it will work easily or at all if the endpoint does not follow the SCIM standard for it's REST-based APIs, but it is the easiest one to test with.

The other web services connector option allows for much greater flexibility, in that as long as the endpoint accepts input the API Gateway can transform the request (defined by the policies in API Gateway) from Identity Manager into the specific format required by the endpoint.

Thanks,
    Mike

Mike Berthold
    Solution Architect