Symantec IGA

View Only
  • 1.  CA IDM : What is the reason for NullPointerException?

Posted Dec 12, 2017 05:36 AM

Hi,

I would like to know the reason for the following error in IDM logs.

<<

ERROR MESSAGE:
    NullPointerException:null
    at com.ca.identitymanager.policyxpress.listeners.PxStateListener.execute(PxStateListener.java:153) [identitymanager.jar:]

>>

In View Submitted Task, I could see status of the task is 'Failed'. Status of the event is either 'Failed/In Progress'.

Note : It is an intermittent issue. Also, I think it is independent of Task/Data as I could see this error message for more than one task (with different name) having valid data.

Regards,

Dhilip

• 2.  Re: CA IDM : What is the reason for NullPointerException?

Posted Dec 12, 2017 10:19 AM

Null Pointer errors typically occur when there's code that's referring to an object that doesn't exist, (a pointer to nothing, thus a null pointer)

To troubleshoot this further, you should look at a larger section of the log. More often than not, you'll get this error if you have typo when referring to a variable, or if you have a timing issue where you make a reference to something before it exists in the event flow.

• 3.  Re: CA IDM : What is the reason for NullPointerException?

Posted Dec 12, 2017 10:36 AM

Hi William,

Thanks for your response. We are not facing this issue regularly and when we try to reproduce this issue with the same data. We are not able to reproduce it. So, we feel this issue is independent of the data (or) code.

Also, the task is very simple. It is just trying to update a parameter. In fact, the actual purpose of the task is to update just ONE parameter.

Will there be any other reason or dependency? Is it related to archival process in any way?

Regards,

Dhilip

• 4.  Re: CA IDM : What is the reason for NullPointerException?

Posted Dec 14, 2017 12:15 AM

Hi all,

Could you please provide your feedback for the above query?

Thanks.

Regards,

Dhilip

• 5.  Re: CA IDM : What is the reason for NullPointerException?
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 14, 2017 09:33 AM

It likely has nothing to do with the archiving of tasks. The failure is during a PX policy, or a series of PX policies. For further analysis, you should open a support issue and upload the complete server.log as well as the roles.xml with the PX policies in it.