DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Alarm on multiple Alarms of a single alarm type - CA Spectrum

Posted Aug 26, 2019 09:57 AM
    Hi All,

We have a requirement to generate a new alarm on "if a single alarm occurs multiple times in a day/week".

Example: 

1. If a Disk Utilization alarm generates multiple times on a device, generate a new alarm indicating the "Disk Utilization Alarm is Repetitive".
    2. If SPM Test alarm on a SPM test generates multiple time,  generate a new alarm indicating the "SPM Test Alarm is Repetitive".
    and so on...

Is it possible to achieve this and how? Please provide your insights.

@Jason Meader @polmi05 @Matthew_Gay​​​​​​ @Matthew Gay

------------------------------
    Thank you.
    Rajashekar

• 2.  RE: Alarm on multiple Alarms of a single alarm type - CA Spectrum

Posted Aug 27, 2019 08:33 AM
    Hi Rajashekar,

Take a look at https://docops.ca.com/ca-spectrum/10-2-3/en/managing-network/event-configuration/working-with-event-rules#WorkingwithEventRules-ConfiguringEventRateRuleSettings

We had the same requirements as yourself and we've used this in our environment for a number of alarms to great effect.

Regards,
    Neville

Solution Designer
    KCOM Group PLC

• 3.  RE: Alarm on multiple Alarms of a single alarm type - CA Spectrum

Posted Aug 27, 2019 11:14 AM
    Thank you Neville for this. Event rules/conditions are not suitable here as we need to look for multiple occurrences of each alarm on the given device. So, it is not possible to customize each event (for each alarm) to track the event rate/event count and generate a new event to alarm.

As I explained in my query, it should generate respective alarm and if that continue to occur on a model, generate new alarm saying it is repetitive.

I see, there is a column named as "Occurrences" in alarm table and it is counting the alarm occurrence for each alarm type. However, it holds historical count as well. My requirement is to count the alarm occurrence and generate a new alarm.

Is it possible to make the occurrences variable to hold only the required number of history? Can anyone from CA/Broadcom help me here?

Thank you.
    Rajashekar

• 4.  RE: Alarm on multiple Alarms of a single alarm type - CA Spectrum

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 28, 2019 09:13 AM
    Is this what you are looking for? in Event Configuration Editor on Alarm options tab, you can select 'Generate Unique Alarm for Each Event'

Senior Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 5.  RE: Alarm on multiple Alarms of a single alarm type - CA Spectrum

Posted Aug 28, 2019 10:09 AM
    No Jason. Per my requirement let the alarms generate as per the existing event rules with out the option "Generate a Unique Alarm for Each Even" selected.
    If a single alarm on a device generates multiple times, I would like generate a new alarm to indicate the re-occurrence of the respective alarm.

Thank you.
    Rajashekar

• 6.  RE: Alarm on multiple Alarms of a single alarm type - CA Spectrum

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 28, 2019 10:17 AM
    That sounds like an Event Rate rule. I would advise to reference the link to guides provided by Neville above.

Senior Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 7.  RE: Alarm on multiple Alarms of a single alarm type - CA Spectrum

Posted Aug 28, 2019 10:28 AM
    I considered that. But, the problem is that, we need it for all alarms. Customizing each event to enable event rate will be a tedious task.

I am considering the alarm table column attribute "Occurrences". But, seems it is holding the historical occurrences along with the existing alarm count.

Do you know what is the duration that it holds the historical data? Is it possible to alter it?

Below is an example of what I am talking about.

Thank you.
    Rajashekar