DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Recurrent alarm for lost contact (ping) to virtual machine

Posted Aug 29, 2019 06:56 PM
    Hi guys,

I have installed sysedge agent version 5.9 with the pluging for conexion to VMWare server. I can discover the vmware enviroment without problems.

But One virtual machine that has X.X.X.Y IP Address every poll time (5 minutes) show an alarm like this:

If I made a recurrent ping from server where the sysedge agent and the vmware plugins are installed, always the ping works with response time of 4ms or less. If I made a ping from One Click Console to the virtual machine the ping works always and clear the alarm. But in the next poll the same alarm its raised again. I have another virtual machines and didn´t raise alarms.

I hope someone can tell me why this its happening? And How to fix it.

Regards

Jose

• 2.  RE: Recurrent alarm for lost contact (ping) to virtual machine

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 30, 2019 07:58 AM
    Hi Jose,

Use a sniffer (TCPdump / WireShark) on the SpectroSERVER machine and check how long the VM is taking to respond a Ping.

Then based on the response time set the DCM Timeout and Retry based on this Tech Tip:
    https://community.broadcom.com/enterprisesoftware/viewdocument/tech-tip-spectrum-device-communica?CommunityKey=671164c3-e575-4b08-96ab-edc2e1ceed13

------------------------------
    Technical Support Engineer IV
    Broadcom Inc

• 3.  RE: Recurrent alarm for lost contact (ping) to virtual machine

Posted Sep 02, 2019 02:47 PM
    Hi Silvio,

If I made a continue ping test from server with the sysedge agent and vmware pluging alway the answers its on 4 milisecond on average. I run the same test at the same tim from my laptop and the machine response to ping in 4 miliseconds too.

I change the values for DCM timeout to 15000 and retry to 5 but I have the same results.

DCM timout

The alarm stills.

Regards

Jose

• 4.  RE: Recurrent alarm for lost contact (ping) to virtual machine

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 02, 2019 04:21 PM
    Hi Jose,

Use a sniffer (TCPdump / WireShark) on the SpectroSERVER machine and check how long the VM is taking to respond a SpectroSERVER ICMP poll.
    We need to see how the VM is reponding to the SS ICMP polling.

It looks like you are manually running ping.

Broadcom Inc

• 5.  RE: Recurrent alarm for lost contact (ping) to virtual machine

Posted Sep 02, 2019 05:14 PM
    Hi Silvio,

The client dont let me install any software for security reasons, that whay I have to made the test (continue ping) manually from SpectroServer (server machine) to Virtual machine that its not responding to SpectroServer but responding to any other machine.

Another way to find why this its happening? A debug option maybe?

Regards

Jose

• 6.  RE: Recurrent alarm for lost contact (ping) to virtual machine

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 02, 2019 05:28 PM
    If the CA Spectrum is installed on Windows, install Microsoft Message Analyzer 
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44226

If the CA Spectrum is installed on Linux, install TCPdump
    https://www.looklinux.com/how-to-install-tcpdump-on-centosrhel-system/

No, you have to perform a sniffer trace.

Broadcom Inc

• 7.  RE: Recurrent alarm for lost contact (ping) to virtual machine
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 02, 2019 07:34 PM
    Hi Silvio,

I can install the Microsoft sniffer and I cannot see any ping packet to the virtual machine to the virtual machine and the alarm was raising againg.

But after some review I can fix the situation. Now  I can see ping packets to the virtual machine from SpectroServer and the alarm its not raising anymore.

The problem was that other Virtual machine (power off) have the same IP Address that the running machine, I change the IPAddress of the virtual machine (power off) and after that change SpectroServer can send and recieved the ping packets. So duplicate IPs Addresses was the problem.

Thanks for the ideas and help.

Regards

Jose