DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Vertica DB Process Start and Stop

Posted Feb 04, 2020 08:33 AM
    ​I am trying to test on how to gracefully stop and start again Vertica process in one of the DB node.
    I stopped DB using Admin Tools but still vertica process was running in Linux as mentioned below:

efadmin    2096      1  0 Jan31 ?        00:00:00 /bin/bash /opt/vertica/agent/agent.sh /opt/vertica/config/users/efadmin/agent.conf

efadmin    2104   2096  0 Jan31 ?        00:42:02 /opt/vertica/oss/python/bin/python ./simply_fast.py

efadmin  160917      1  0 Feb01 ?        00:00:00 /opt/vertica/bin/rsync --daemon --config=/tmp/vbr_rsyncd/vbr_rsyncd.conf --port=50000

Please suggest how to stop these process and start it again. what is pre-requisite to be followed?
    Do I need to stop the DB first before stopping vertica process.

• 2.  RE: Vertica DB Process Start and Stop

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 10, 2020 03:44 PM
    Hi Gaurav,  
    Please ask the question in  "DX NetOps" communities. 
    from Communities -> Enterprise Software -> AIOps -> DX NetOps.
    Thanks,
    Yanna

• 3.  RE: Vertica DB Process Start and Stop

Community Manager
    Posted Feb 11, 2020 11:29 AM
    moving this one too

------------------------------
    Diane Craddock
    Community Manager, Broadcom Enterprise Software Division
    Broadcom Inc.

• 4.  RE: Vertica DB Process Start and Stop
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 12, 2020 06:09 PM
    Hi GuaravK,

What exactly is being tested? What is the goal of the testing?

When stopping the DB via adminTools->Stop Database it only stops the running DB service. That would leave the Vertica software itself that manages the DB, the same services you've listed in your post.

To stop those services on the node being tested on, in adminTools select option 7 for Advanced Menu. Then select option 2 for Stop Vertica on Host.

To restart those services, use adminTools option 5 from the Main Menu for Restart Vertica on Host.

Thanks,
    Mike

Technical Support Engineer IV
    Broadcom

• 5.  RE: Vertica DB Process Start and Stop

Posted Feb 13, 2020 03:51 AM
    HI Mike,

Thanks for your response. I tried the option within advanced menu but still on of the vertica process running as below.

/bin/bash /opt/vertica/agent/agent.sh /opt/vertica/config/users/efadmin/agent.conf​

Do I need to kill vertica process using AdminTool or via Linux kill -9 command.

Basically my end goal is to stop/kill all vertica process running on host as I am monitoring   vertica process thorough NAGIOS and need to test vertica process down.
    Restart these process again.