DX NetOps

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Virtual Machines are taking an IP Address from a second Network Interface instead of the primary IP Address from fist NIC

• 1.  Virtual Machines are taking an IP Address from a second Network Interface instead of the primary IP Address from fist NIC

Posted Oct 29, 2020 10:22 AM
    Hi guys,

I have installed Spectrum versión 10.2.2 on windows machine. And in other server I installed sysedge agent and the plugins for VMware. I made the configurations to get information from V-Center to Spectrum and its works without any problems.

The virtual machines have 2 NIC one for production network and other for Backup network. Production network has 172.17.X.Y addresses and backup network have 10.60.X.Y

Spectrum show me in the Network Address the Ip Address for production environment and this its OK.

But I don't know why sometimes Spectrum change this Network Address and put the backup network IP Address.

And Spectrum raise an alarm because the backup network its not reachable from Spectrum server.

We have to manually change the Network Address in order to clean the alarm. But again for an unknow reason in some time again the IP Addres its changed for Spectrum and the alarm its raised again.

Can you please help me to know why this happened and how we can fix it in order to Spectrum not change Network Address for Virtual Machines.

Regards

Jose

• 2.  RE: Virtual Machines are taking an IP Address from a second Network Interface instead of the primary IP Address from fist NIC

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 29, 2020 10:29 AM
    Jose,

Not sure if this applies or not but check the Information tab for the model to see if there is an IP Redundancy subview. If so, is IP Redundancy enabled? 

Joe

• 3.  RE: Virtual Machines are taking an IP Address from a second Network Interface instead of the primary IP Address from fist NIC

Posted Oct 29, 2020 10:44 AM
    Hi Joe,

There it's not any Redundancy subview for virtual machines.

Regards

Jose

• 4.  RE: Virtual Machines are taking an IP Address from a second Network Interface instead of the primary IP Address from fist NIC

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 29, 2020 11:04 AM
    Jose,

Any events on the VM model to indicate a reason why the ip address may have changed?

Joe

• 5.  RE: Virtual Machines are taking an IP Address from a second Network Interface instead of the primary IP Address from fist NIC

Posted Oct 29, 2020 11:15 AM
    Hi Joe,

In the events I can see only a lost of communication with the V-Center only that.

• 6.  RE: Virtual Machines are taking an IP Address from a second Network Interface instead of the primary IP Address from fist NIC

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 29, 2020 11:38 AM
    Jose,

Not sure on this one. It is almost like there may be some type of redundancy but not like the usual.

Joe

• 7.  RE: Virtual Machines are taking an IP Address from a second Network Interface instead of the primary IP Address from fist NIC

Posted Oct 29, 2020 11:43 AM
    Hi Joe,

I looked into attributes from virtual machine and for redundancy attributes I found the next:
    Redundancy Enable have value of NO.

Regards

Jose

• 8.  RE: Virtual Machines are taking an IP Address from a second Network Interface instead of the primary IP Address from fist NIC

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 30, 2020 09:27 AM
    What's the IP address listed in vSphere?  I suspect that the vcAIM is updating the IP in Spectrum based on what it's getting from vSphere.

• 9.  RE: Virtual Machines are taking an IP Address from a second Network Interface instead of the primary IP Address from fist NIC

Posted Oct 30, 2020 01:48 PM
    Hi Robert,

I guess the same, but ¿why vcAIM send to Spectrum the other IP Address just after lost connectivity to V-Center. How Spectrum choose one or another IP Address or How vcAIM choose which Ip Address send to Spectrum?

I remember that some years ago I have the same problem and CA support in that time send me some steps to be configured on VMWare side to fix this situation but I lost that email. This situation for change IP Address was after vmotion of Virtual Machines.

Regards

Jose

• 10.  RE: Virtual Machines are taking an IP Address from a second Network Interface instead of the primary IP Address from fist NIC

Posted Nov 04, 2020 09:37 AM
    Hi Robert,

THis is the configuration of VM on V-Sphere. The production IP Address is showed.

In the other IP Address field its showed the backup IP Address.

Regards

Jose

• 11.  RE: Virtual Machines are taking an IP Address from a second Network Interface instead of the primary IP Address from fist NIC

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 04, 2020 11:14 AM
    I can recreate the problem here:

I suspect Spectrum is using the lowest IP address when it really should be using the first IP:

The VMware AIM is able to report on the IPs correctly so I think it's just Spectrum picking a different IP.  I would suggest opening a support ticket although you'll probably need to upgrade to Spectrum 10.4+ since Spectrum 10.2.x is EoS:  https://community.broadcom.com/communities/community-home/librarydocuments/viewdocument?DocumentKey=ac0b015b-eb06-4754-bda0-2449ac142915

-Rob

• 12.  RE: Virtual Machines are taking an IP Address from a second Network Interface instead of the primary IP Address from fist NIC

Posted Nov 04, 2020 11:36 AM
    OK Rob,

Thanks for the info and the help. I will update to 10.4+

Regards

Jose

• 13.  RE: Virtual Machines are taking an IP Address from a second Network Interface instead of the primary IP Address from fist NIC

Posted Nov 04, 2020 11:42 AM
    Hi Rob,

What was the Spectrum version you used in lab to replicated the problem? Because if its 10.4+ the upgrade will not fix the situation.

Regards

Jose

• 14.  RE: Virtual Machines are taking an IP Address from a second Network Interface instead of the primary IP Address from fist NIC

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 04, 2020 11:50 AM
    Spectrum 10.4.2.1.  I wasn't suggesting that an upgrade would fix the problem but rather any patch would be against 10.4.x because 10.2.x is EoS.

• 15.  RE: Virtual Machines are taking an IP Address from a second Network Interface instead of the primary IP Address from fist NIC

Posted Nov 04, 2020 11:58 AM
    Ok Rob,

I understand.

Regards

Jose