DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  How to see DHCP values in CA PM or in Data Aggregator

Posted Apr 01, 2020 11:15 AM

Hello All!

im writing here because i need your help with this issue.
    (I have only CA Performance center 3.6 in my environment)

A week ago i setup a windows server to do DHCP monitoring.
    If i do snmp walk from the SNMP collector to the windows server i will see that this data is available:

So i setup this in Performance center and im able to see that the data is being collected:
    But im unable to see this data either at CA Performance center or at the data aggregator level.
    I did a traffic capture and i saw that the data is being polled:

Where is this data? how i can see this data?
    IM attaching the original images just in case.
    Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: How to see DHCP values in CA PM or in Data Aggregator

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 01, 2020 12:01 PM
    Hi Luciano,

What report or View have you configured against the DHCP Metric Family and it's metrics?

If something like that is set up and set against a group with these devices, or one of the devices themselves, do you not see the data?

A simple way to check for the data is often use of the Reports->On-Demand Reports.

Thanks,
    Mike

------------------------------
    Technical Support Engineer IV
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: How to see DHCP values in CA PM or in Data Aggregator

Posted Apr 01, 2020 01:17 PM

Hello Mike!

Thanks for answer.

If in CA Performance center i search "DHCP" i will find these components. When im going to the dashboard of that component im unable to see the data.
    If i do the "on-demand" im able to see some data but not all.
    This is only for one device/server, but if it works, then i will apply this to the whole infrastructure (400+ DHCP servers).
    Please check attached images.

Im only interested to see:
    The number of used IP addresses in a DHCP pool.
    The number of free IP addresses that this DHCP pool have.
    The number of pending request for that DHCP pool.

Also, i would like to know how to see this in the ODATA Query builder, im only getting 0 for every DHCP pool.
    Thanks again!!

• 4.  RE: How to see DHCP values in CA PM or in Data Aggregator

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 01, 2020 06:26 PM
    For the Views where you don't see data, are they configured for the same metrics the reports that show data use?

For Odata queries, what are some sample queries you've built that aren't providing the right data?

Broadcom

• 5.  RE: How to see DHCP values in CA PM or in Data Aggregator

Posted Apr 02, 2020 01:45 PM

Hello Mike,

Again, thanks for answering.

One example of the Odata Query is this one:

In Performance Center:

But maybe i have to do the question in another way:
    If i have a Windows DHCP server, and i want to monitor the numbers of Used IP addresses and free IP addresses of each pool handled by this DHCP server, where i have to go in Performance Center?
    If i want to see in a dashboard how many free IP addresses have all the DHCP Pools handled by this server, where i have to go?
    How i can query this data using ODATA?

Thanks again.

• 6.  RE: How to see DHCP values in CA PM or in Data Aggregator

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 02, 2020 02:56 PM
    Whether or not metrics exist for what is sought comes down to what data the device provides in it's MIB data as a first step. Once that is known, we determine what PM is capable of polling from tje devices MIB data.

What is the device capable of polling for metrics in PM? Determine that by looking up the device on the certification site. It lists each Metric Family that hosts a Vendor Certification that the device could support. Each Vendor Certification, when selected, shows the Metrics it would provide data for, along wtih how it's gathered (what MIB OIDs) and how its calculated (the expression used).

Certification Site: http://serviceassurance.broadcom.com/im/

If it's not present, it needs to be added. Can do it yourself via Self Certification per the docs, or submit a Certification Request to support for engineering to fulfill.

In this case for your Odata returning all zero's it tends to indicate that the device is returning valid responses to the poll requests. But the data being returned could be:
    • Bad data resulting in zero's when calculated using the metrics expression
    • Values from the MIB are returning zero's thus zero values in the reports.
    To determine that we'd need to enable Detailed Poll Logging via the DCDebug page on the DA at DA_HOST:8581/dcdebug.

Broadcom

• 7.  RE: How to see DHCP values in CA PM or in Data Aggregator
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 02, 2020 03:35 PM

Thanks for the answer Michael.
    We already done all the steps that you mention.. but still no luck.

We took the decision to go away from this platform and acquire other platform.

Until we have a new platform, we solve this issue by using Zabbix... way more flexible. Y with a lot more documentation.

Thanks!