DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Huge Buffer Misses metric in per second

Posted May 22, 2020 09:37 AM
    Hi,
         We are running CA PM and today I noticed there is a metric Huge Buffer Misses under the metric family where the unit in terms of bytes. Is there a possible way to get that in terms of per second since I am looking for Huge Buffer Misses/second metric to set the performance alerting. 
    Can someone help me to get these.
    Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Huge Buffer Misses metric in per second

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 22, 2020 11:54 AM
    Is this Buffer Pool metric family?  if so...

Check when adding the metric to reports, if there is a "Huge Buffer Misses - Average Rate" entry to add, that will show the value as a rate per second.

• 3.  RE: Huge Buffer Misses metric in per second

Posted May 24, 2020 11:47 PM
    Hi Jeffrey,
          I have verified there is no Average or total rate for that metric and if I remember correctly , those type of metric is in eHealth so I thought it should be in CAPM. Can you please let me know how to get that if it is not available?.

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Huge Buffer Misses metric in per second
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 26, 2020 12:49 PM
    Yeh, sorry, it appears that metric family metrics haven't been setup to provide rate metrics.

It's gonna require extending the Buffer Pool metric family to tell the system you want those metrics to be reportable as Rates.

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/performance-management/3-7/building/self-certification/self-certification-xml/metric-family-xml-structure.html

Rate
    Provides an extra reporting field, "Average Rate," calculated as AVG (metric value / time). No changes are made to the database table.
    The Rate is available for reporting but not for use when monitoring the profile event rules.
    Possible values: true, false
    Effect of updating: Provides the "Average Rate" field for reporting.
    When does the update take effect: Immediately
    Required actions for updates to take effect: None

So for example:

GET http://DA:8581/typecatalog/metricfamilies/extension/NormalizedBufferPoolInfo

You should see the basic extension definition with nothing overridden.

You can take that body and do a PUT to same URL above AFTER adding to XML, before </FacetType>:

<AttributeGroup
     name="GenericBufferPoolGroup" external="true" list="true">
       <Attribute name="HugeBufferMisses" type="Double">
         <Documentation>Contains the number of huge buffer misses</Documentation>
         <IsDbColumn>true</IsDbColumn>
         <Baseline>false</Baseline>
         <RollupExpression/>
         <Minimum>true</Minimum>
         <Maximum>true</Maximum>
         <RollupStrategy>Avg</RollupStrategy>
         <StandardDeviation>false</StandardDeviation>
         <Variance>false</Variance>
         <Percentile>0</Percentile>
         <Percentile2>0</Percentile2>
         <Percentile3>0</Percentile3>
         <ProjectionPercentile>0</ProjectionPercentile>
         <Rate>true</Rate>
         <Polled>true</Polled>
       </Attribute>
    </AttributeGroup>

Bump up version some, then PUT that body.  After it returns 200 OK, GET http://DA:8581/typecatalog/metricfamilies/NormalizedBufferPoolInfo
    Confirm the Rate=true is there.

Then goto configure the view again to see the new Rate metrics.