DX NetOps

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

• 1.  Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Oct 21, 2020 11:52 AM
    Hi,

From CA PC dashboard we can see only 384 interfaces. The customer has a requirement to add business edge router to the CAPM with 2000 + interface. did anyone has an idea way to see all interfaces on CAPC

Thanks,
    Uchira.

• 2.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 21, 2020 11:56 AM
    Hi Uchira,

Is there a particular view that you are using that is giving you this limitation? Depending on the type of view, the number of items you can display changes. For example a table view in PM is able to show you up to a 1000 components. 
    If you could elaborate what you are looking to accomplish, then I could provide some suggestions.

Regards,
    Kishan

• 3.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 21, 2020 11:57 AM
    Hi Uchira,

Can you share more details about the Dashboard and it's Views/Graphs that are involved where you see this limitation?

Maybe a few screen shots showing the problem, and the configuration of the View the problem is seen in on the Dashboard?

Thanks,
    Mike

------------------------------
    Technical Support Engineer IV
    Broadcom

• 4.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Oct 22, 2020 02:02 AM
    You should check on the DA at the device level, in the specific Metric Family, the number of displayed interfaces. Maybe they're filtered out, based on either configuration of the monitoring profile, or specific vendor certification configuration.

Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks

• 5.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Oct 27, 2020 10:48 PM
    Hi,

Device model is CISCO ASR 9001 It has 2000 interfaces including sub interface. from PC dashboard we can see only as below. is there any way to see all devices at a one time?

Thanks,
    Uchira.

• 6.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Nov 03, 2020 09:14 AM
    Hi,

Does anyone have an idea on this?

Thanks,
    Uchira.

• 7.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 03, 2020 10:16 AM
    Sorry, but 384 is the limit we allow.  It's a matter of resources to generate 384 trend graphs using as-polled data.

• 8.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Nov 03, 2020 11:07 PM
    Edited by Uchira Amarasinghe Nov 03, 2020 11:20 PM
    Hi,

please find below a screenshot of the spectrum with all the 2000+ interfaces for the same device. Customer needs to view performance data of the interfaces from PM. Resources are not an issue we can suggest customer increase if required.

Is there any way from the PM backend we can change this value and enable 2000+ interfaces? This is there business requirement as an ISP.

Thanks,
    Uchira.

• 9.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Nov 04, 2020 06:30 AM
    Having 2000 interfaces in a view defeats the purpose of using a TopN View altogether.

Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks

• 10.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 04, 2020 11:52 AM
    Catalin has a good point about TopN is meant to show the top X items, not all items.

You could always use OData to get the data.
    You could also use a custom table and get the min/max/avg per interface.

You can increase the OnDemand.MaxTotalTableSelected.Limit setting in global attributes under PC admin debug page, to have more rows returned, I believe.

• 11.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Nov 04, 2020 10:56 PM

Hi,

Yes understood about top X report. But customer needs a dashboard view on these devices not in a format of a report.

Can you please guide me on using OData to get the data?

Thanks,
    Uchira.

• 12.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Nov 05, 2020 05:49 AM
    Edited by Catalin Farcasanu Nov 05, 2020 05:53 AM
    I would start first from the business process point of view: why do they need a view with 2000 interfaces? Does it provide any benefit of seeing 2000 interfaces in one view? What is that benefit? Do they have a 2x3m screen where they would see all those interfaces, without any scrolling? 

There's always a good a idea to challenge the requests that one customer could make.

There's also a good idea to say No sometimes to some fancy customer's requests that do not provide any benefits except for feeding someone's ego or if they make the product look like any other previously used solution. The alternative is to provide a solution that would cost significantly just to make a point that there's no benefit. Give them a 100-200 days effort for building an AppView that would extract data using OpenAPI and show it however they want to see it. And let them decide if they can accommodate a such cost for a small benefit. Whatever that benefit would be, as I see no point in such a view.

Believe me, I came across this situations a number of times.

Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks

• 13.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 05, 2020 01:19 PM
    Catalin is correct. While anyone can request any report, it should be questioned when it's one that doesn't appear to provide value.

Answering what they really want to see at a minimum, and building from there is likely a better path with achievable goals.

To get started with the referenced OpenAPI Odata query tools check out the documentation for it here.

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/dx-netops/20-2/Performance-Monitoring-with-DX-Performance-Management/apis/openapi.html

Broadcom

• 14.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Nov 05, 2020 10:15 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, that is totally understood? The customer has two questions on the same.

1. If they want to view a specific interface by giving the interface name or description on that particular device is that possible?
    2. View graphs of top interfaces utilizations or any filtering criteria without getting first 384 interfaces

Thanks,
    Uchira

• 15.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Nov 06, 2020 04:07 AM
    There are several ways to configure the device names and the names of the interfaces.

One is using Alias that is available for each device and each interface. This has to be set individually for each element, either device or interface. In each users configuration page, you select which one is displayed by default: Use Item Display Name or Use Item Name Alias. I'd use Rest to update each required element with the values from a 3rd party CMDB or some kind of  inventory tool that the customer would have.
    User Display Settings

For the devices, in each discovery profile, under Advanced tab, you can select the way that the naming is of elements is realized. This would apply to any specific device being discovered with the selected discovery profile.

Another option is to modify the specific vendor certification to change the way that the elements are named, so you'd specify there the way to name the elements, based maybe of ifAlias.

I remember that the latest versions of PM set automatically the name for elements with the ifAlias that comes from the ifTable. 

There are several OOTB dashboards that can be used for TopN Views. Try to create a new dashboard and from the views in the left, just search for topN. You'll see all views that can present TopN. There's at least one for TopN Interface Utilization. 

The dashboard only filters elements, in relation with the selected Groups. So, if you go on All Groups, you should see all interfaces.

Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks

• 16.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 06, 2020 08:27 AM
    Catalin has a great explanation for #1.

#2, We don't have a way to filter by metric value what gets shown.  You can order the metric column by either asc/desc and get topN for that, but no way to say show me items with values over/below a certain value.​​​​
    There are scorecards that you can mark metric values a diff color based on the metric's value.

• 17.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Nov 06, 2020 11:16 PM

Hi Catalin and Jeffrey

Thank you very much for all the great explanations and solutions. One last help.

I created a table below and is there any way I can change the raw count to 2500? Then the customer can view only the top utilization interfaxes and if need any specific interface can filter the interface name and view the statistics.

For this, I checked the global attributes as well thinking you suggested to change the value of OnDemand.MaxTotalTableSelected.Limit for the same. But similar attribute not available.

Please help.

Thanks,
    Uchira.

• 18.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Nov 08, 2020 09:23 AM
    The request was here to view all interfaces in a dashboard. 

As, per viewing different metrics and filtering out values below/over a certain value is achievable using the CABI TopN Report. This functionality tried to mimic the now obsolete TopN eHealth Report that was allowing the users to specifying filtering of results based on values from the extracted report data. 

But then again, that's a report not a dashboard.

Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks

• 19.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Nov 08, 2020 10:56 AM

Hi Catalin,

Understood, actually, the view on the dashboard can be top 50 or 100 at once. Think of a scenario like this. The person on the NOC needs to see a particular interface behaviour, then if all the interfaces are available on the current view he can easily filter from the interface name and monitor. The report will be static but he can view the interface he can monitor real-time.

Anyway, thank you for all the guidance if this is not possible it is ok. What I'm thinking is since this 1000 limit is anyway configured on PC to limit the entries right. If we can edit this to any amount only on the particular device it will be much easier. If CA has locked changing these entries lets go with the report only. Still, I believe this can be changed since this been an attribute.

Thank you for your support.

Thanks,
    Uchira

• 20.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Nov 08, 2020 11:15 AM
    For a NOC scenario, 2000 interfaces is not feasible. NOC should see top 10-50 interfaces. They cannot do multitasking. They address one alert at a time. So, having 2000 interfaces there's no real benefit.

You see an error/alarm and take an action. The action you take first is to go drilldown into the interface specific details. Maybe later to all interfaces of the device. So this would mean an additional 2 clicks for the operator, as opposed to having to develop some page that would still require searching and filtering to drilldown into the details.

I don't really see any benefit of having all interfaces in a view. You should see top 10-50, as I said.

Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks

• 21.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Nov 09, 2020 02:28 AM

Hi Catalin

Thank you very much again. If you find any way to increase this 1000 value please update over here.

Thanks,
    Uchira.

• 22.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 09, 2020 12:11 PM
    This isn't an OnDemand view, so that's why those 3 settings highlighted earlier don't apply.

Each view has a limit configured, and even if you were to override it manually, it would be reset to 1000 on the next upgrade.  We don't preserve the limits you are looking to override.

• 23.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Nov 09, 2020 12:31 PM
    Hello Jeff,

can you just tell me the path to edit this limit? It doesn't matter if it changed to default (1000) in next upgrade. we have a big deal to close soon including Spectrum PM UIM and NetFlow. that is why I'm troubling all of you. thanks for the understanding. Business matters.

Thanks,
    Uchira.

• 24.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 10, 2020 12:56 PM

That "Top Interface Utilization In & Out (Table)" view is modelid 1000043.

The max size is controlled by Settings/ResultsLimit.  The current DB value on that model id is 1000.

To allow 2000, run this command:

update netqosportal.model_properties set propertyvalue='2000' where modelid=1000043 and mapname='Settings/ResultsLimit' and propertyname='SettingInvalidMessage';

Then try and configure the view for 2000 rows.

• 25.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Nov 10, 2020 10:28 PM
    Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your support,

Could you please tell me the steps to run this command? 

To allow 2000, run this command:

update netqosportal.model_properties set propertyvalue='2000' where modelid=1000043 and mapname='Settings/ResultsLimit' and propertyname='SettingInvalidMessage';

what is the path we need to use to run this command?

Thanks,
    Uchira. 

• 26.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Nov 11, 2020 01:37 AM
    Edited by Catalin Farcasanu Nov 11, 2020 01:37 AM
    That's a MySQL query that you need to run in netqosportal db on PC.

Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks

• 27.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Nov 11, 2020 02:17 AM
    Hi,

Thanks for the response,

Could you please tell me do we need the services restart after doing that? 

Thanks,
    Uchira.

• 28.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 11, 2020 09:18 AM
    No restart is needed.

• 29.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Nov 12, 2020 12:46 PM
    Hi Jeff,

We updated the MySQL command that you have given. but still, from the dashboard, we can not see 2000 interfaces. 

Do you have an idea on this?

Thank you,
    Uchira.

• 30.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 12, 2020 01:37 PM
    Is the View configured in the 'Results Limit (Max Rows)' option to show 2000 or 1000?

Broadcom

• 31.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Nov 12, 2020 01:40 PM
    steps are done for view  2000

Thanks,
    Uchira.

• 32.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 12, 2020 02:00 PM
    Does that mean the view accepted the limit of 2000 when you reconfigured the view?
    If so, does the view show more than 1000 now?

• 33.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Nov 13, 2020 12:53 AM
    Hello Jeff,

Before updating the query I checked the current value first. It returned to 1000.

Then I executed update query given and it was successfully completed.

Again I check the value then it showed 2000.

But in PM console under Top interface utilization table still allows up to 1000 raws only.

Did I miss anything, pls advice.

Thanks,
    Uchira.

• 34.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 13, 2020 01:26 PM
    It's possible I don't have the correct modelid.

try this one also:

update netqosportal.model_properties set propertyvalue='2000' where modelid=1000046 and mapname='Settings/ResultsLimit' and propertyname='SettingInvalidMessage';

• 35.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Nov 14, 2020 10:11 AM
    Hi Jeff,

is there any particular guide on these attributes can we query and take modelled and name?

Thanks,
    Uchira.

• 36.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Posted Nov 14, 2020 12:39 PM

Hi Jeff, Catalin and all other helped.

Thank you very much for the support given.

Here is a summary for everyone's reference.

We had a business requirement of viewing more than currently allowed interface in PM dashboards. In order to change the interface graph table limitations with the help of the community we changed attributes on netqosportal database by executing an update query in performance center.

respective model id's are as follow.

| 1000046 | Top Interface Utilization In & Out (Table)

| 1000019 |Top Interface Utilization (Table)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cd /opt/CA/MySql/bin/

mysql -u root -p

type the mysql password

#check the current value before you execute the update command from below.

select propertyvalue from netqosportal.model_properties where modelid=1000198 and mapname='Settings/ResultsLimit' and propertyname='SettingInvalidMessage';

#issue the update command with required value.In our case its 2000.

update netqosportal.model_properties set propertyvalue='2000' where modelid=1000046 and mapname='Settings/ResultsLimit' and propertyname='SettingInvalidMessage';

#check the changed value again.

select propertyvalue from netqosportal.model_properties where modelid=1000043 and mapname='Settings/ResultsLimit' and propertyname='SettingInvalidMessage';

Please note that after an upgrade this will be reset and need to update the query again. This was not tested but better to keep in mind

Thanks,
    Uchira.

• 37.  RE: Interface Limitation CA PM (384)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 16, 2020 11:12 AM
    No, there is not.  These are internal things that should not be touched unless support/engineering is engaged.

Just the slightest change can cause the entire page to not load and throw an exception.