DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Upgrade Spectrum 10.4.1 - Things we found

Posted Feb 07, 2020 03:30 AM
    Hi all,

Just thought this might help someone else. We upgraded our RHEL7 DSS environment yesterday from 10.4.0 to 10.4.1 and wanted to let you know what we found.

1) SS.idb and ARCHMGR.idb on all our MLS/SS servers were reset back to their defaults. We had to edit the AUTOBOOTSTART and TICKETUSER options so that Spectrum/Archive Manager came up on their own after a reboot as the right user. [Don't forget AUTORESTART for your ArchMgr].

2) Our Spectrum<>CAPM integration uses SSL and the Spectrum OneClick servers' webapps/axis2/WEB-INF/conf/axis2.xml files were also reset to default. We had to change the transportReceiver name="http" section with the HTTPS'd version to get the sync from CAPM to work again.

Our checks showed all other files we had edited/updated/tweaked (SSL config, custom tables, Notifier, backup scripts, vnmrc, spectrum80 and DDM settings etc) remained the same. Everything is great (no more Java cache problems, FQDN oneclick.jnlp issues etc. and various fixes for niggles). Looks like a great release! Thanks team :)

JB.

• 2.  RE: Upgrade Spectrum 10.4.1 - Things we found

Posted Feb 07, 2020 04:39 AM
    Good job! Keep the list going. I'll have to update my environments also and this is very useful information.

------------------------------
    Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks

• 3.  RE: Upgrade Spectrum 10.4.1 - Things we found
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 11, 2020 05:21 AM
    Hi JB,

Adding to that, when I was installing the upgrade on the MLS, it crashed all the LS below it. So before upgrading them, I needed to restore SSDB, start SS and then gracefully stop it before proceeding.

Regards,

Marcelo Zacchi
    CA Spectrum consultant
    Nets Denmark

• 4.  RE: Upgrade Spectrum 10.4.1 - Things we found

Posted Feb 12, 2020 04:26 AM
    Hi Marcelo,

We didn't have any troubles like yours but we took a really really careful approach.

We have an MLS, OC, OC+RM, and various LS/SS servers. We got approval to take the whole application offline, so ran an SS stop on the MLS and all LS/SS servers first [We left the processd's running as normal]. Then we ran the upgrade first on the MLS, then the OC and confirmed all operational. Then we moved on to upgrading the OC+RM, retested and finally worked through upgrading each LS/SS server.

It was lengthy, and did mean the tool was down for just over an hour but in the end it was worth it.

JB.

Director of Global Network Services
    Informa Plc

• 5.  RE: Upgrade Spectrum 10.4.1 - Things we found

Posted Feb 12, 2020 05:04 AM
    Hi JB,

In retrospect, that would've been a better idea, but I had never faced this issue while performing an upgrade before. the problem happened during the installation of the primary MLS, when the secondary was in charge, and if affected all the SS. I was upgrading from 10.3.2.
    Anyway, it is good that you have created this thread and now people can be aware and plan accordingly.

Best regards,

Marcelo Zacchi
    CA Spectrum consultant
    Nets Denmark

• 6.  RE: Upgrade Spectrum 10.4.1 - Things we found

Posted Feb 13, 2020 02:58 AM

Hello,

we updated to 10.4 und we had problems by the installation. We had stopped all processes ​(SS,ArchMgr,processd) but the installation failed. So we must killed and moved the userconf.exe because this still running in the background. After that it was possible to install the version.

Karsten