DX NetOps

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

CA PFM - How to set up a threshold profile that can combine conditions of values from different metrics family

• 1.  CA PFM - How to set up a threshold profile that can combine conditions of values from different metrics family

Posted Jul 16, 2021 01:27 AM
    I know this might have been discussed multiple time before about define alerting based on more than one conditions crossing metrics families, but I didn't find what I need.

For example, if I need to set up a device(ASA or F5) that working in a pair of active-standby mode. I want to know if the active working device has abnormal connection values, say too low that out of ordinary range. I need to check if the device if active, also need to check current active connections count. Normally these two factors are from totally different metrics family. When create a new threshold profile in CA PFM, there's only one dropdown box to choose one metrics family and I cannot get something add to this from another metrics family. How can I do that from two different metrics families?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: CA PFM - How to set up a threshold profile that can combine conditions of values from different metrics family
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 16, 2021 05:36 AM
    It's not possible what you're trying to do with the current capabilities of PM. What you need to do is event correlation and PM is not the tool to do that. You can do that in Spectrum. You can create various low level conditions that are monitored in PM that would trigger SPECTRUM events. Using either Condition Correlation or Event Procedures, you could end up with the desired scenario. Either that, or using watches on SPECTRUM itself. 

Basically what you need to see is an abnormal situation for a device. That is fault management and should be handled in SPECTRUM, as it offers many tools/options for achieving the desired monitoring scenarios.

------------------------------
    Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: CA PFM - How to set up a threshold profile that can combine conditions of values from different metrics family

Posted Jul 29, 2021 02:21 PM
    Thanks Catalin!