DX NetOps

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Managing port alarms when changing switchports that are part of live pipes?

• 1.  Managing port alarms when changing switchports that are part of live pipes?

Posted Apr 18, 2018 04:44 PM

When a network engineer moves an Cisco AP from port A which is networklinktype=unknown which per Policy Manager makes it part of port fault monitoring an alarm is created that the port is down which is normal.  

What are some approaches to manage this situation to avoid the alarm if it's a known port move.

The only thing I can think of is to change the networklinktype on the port manually to No Link before the physical move.

I'm just wondering if that is what other folks do otherwise we end up ticketing BAD LINK DETECTED alarms to the NOC for scheduled changes so it wastes resources.

Seems that I need to do it or train my team to change the networklinktype to No Link before doing the move to remove the port from port fault monitoring.

Interested in thoughts on this?

• 2.  Re: Managing port alarms when changing switchports that are part of live pipes?
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 19, 2018 03:49 AM

You can try setting your port to Maintenance Mode first. Then make all the changes to the connectivity and get your port out of Maintenance.