DX NetOps

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Topology in CA Spectrum.

• 1.  Topology in CA Spectrum.

Posted Nov 27, 2018 06:50 AM

Hi , I am trying to know more about CA Spectrum. So looking for some detailed information.

What is the database/table names where topology related information is stored in CA Spectrum?

I do know that MySQL database named 'reporting' is present to do generate reports, but is this the table where topology related information is also stored.

This table might be not accessible from outside ,but atleast information relation to schema or structure of the table should be mentioned somewhere.

I am trying to understand that the table fields present in SpectroServer are similar to reporting or they are different.

Regards,

AK

• 2.  Re: Topology in CA Spectrum.
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 27, 2018 07:02 AM

Hi AK,

The models are stored in the SSdb (Berkeley database).

Please take a look at these CA Spectrum guides:

SpectroSERVER and CA Spectrum Databases Overview - CA Spectrum - 10.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Report Manager DB Schema - CA Spectrum - 10.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Thanks,

Silvio

• 3.  Re: Topology in CA Spectrum.

Posted Nov 28, 2018 01:47 AM

Thanks for the info Silvio. I have gone through the link shared. Can you highlight which table schema is related to topology. I do not see any table for that purpose.

Thanks.

AK

• 4.  Re: Topology in CA Spectrum.

Posted Nov 27, 2018 07:07 AM

Hi AK,

Also, to add, accessing/editing the SSdb is not recommended, could corrupt it.

• 5.  Re: Topology in CA Spectrum.

Posted Nov 28, 2018 01:48 AM

Thanks SIRHA02. I am not trying to access SSdb. I am just looking for information about the table schema where topology related information is stored.

Regards,

AK

• 6.  Re: Topology in CA Spectrum.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 27, 2018 10:12 AM

You can always use the Modeling Gateway to export the topology.  There is an option in the .modelinggatewayresource.xml file to export topology with X , Y Coordinates for placement.

<!-- export_topology_layout: export devices and containers -->
    <!-- x,y coordinates or not -->

Best regards,

Glenn

• 7.  Re: Topology in CA Spectrum.

Posted Nov 28, 2018 01:53 AM

Dear Glenn.

Appreciate your quick response  and the provided information is useful for me.

Do you have the table or table schema name which stores all the information related to topology?

There are number of tables in the Spectrum respective databases and I am aware of the tables present as well, but could not find the tables which are associated with the topology related information.

Regards,

AK

• 8.  Re: Topology in CA Spectrum.

Posted Nov 28, 2018 02:39 AM

The SSdb is not a RDBMS, it's doesn't have tables/views/columns. There are other methods to access it - the CLI/Rest APIs, or , as Glenn_Shoemake mentioned, you can export the topology data in XML format via Modelling Gateway.

• 9.  Re: Topology in CA Spectrum.

Posted Nov 28, 2018 04:06 AM

Thanks Cristi for the clarification.

Regards,

AK

• 10.  Re: Topology in CA Spectrum.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 28, 2018 03:38 AM

Amit,

You have to understand that the core part of Spectrum was coded in the late 1980s and is still being used today.  This is why we use the Berkley Sleepycat database and why Spectrum is so different then other NMS programs.

So as I have mentioned you have the topologys that are based upon X, Y coordinates, you can use the relations to see how the devices are connected to each other.

Relation Descriptions - CA Spectrum - 10.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

You can use Topology Model Name String attribute to see how the device relates to the Universe and its Parent containers.

The relations can be queried via CLI or Java Webservices, but again as previously mentioned there is no direct database that manages all of the topology.

Another option is to export the topology via images as explained here.

Export Topology Views as Image Files - CA Spectrum - 10.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Best regards,

Glenn

• 11.  Re: Topology in CA Spectrum.

Posted Nov 28, 2018 05:05 AM

Dear Glenn,

Thanks for your patience and detailed information. I have a better understanding of the Berkley DB respective to topology and how the topology can be retrieved.

I have pulled some parts from the xml file as per the steps mentioned in the documentation.

<Topology topology_layout=""
    zoom_list=""
    group_list=""
    model_handle="">
    <Topology_Container name="Location_Z" model_type="Network" model_handle="00000000"
    subnet_list="0.0.0.0"
    group_list="0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0"
    topology_layout=""
    zoom_list=""
    Security_String="String"
    annotation=""
    Value_When_Orange="3"
    Value_When_Yellow="1"
    subnet_mask="0.0.0.0"
    Value_When_Red="7">

<Device network_address="10.10.10.10" name="abc.company.com" model_type="GnSNMPDev" model_handle="00000000"
    Topology_Relocate_Model="0"
    TryCount="3"
    TimeOut="3000"
    Security_String="String"
    Hibernate_Device="1"
    Value_When_Orange="3"
    Criticality="1"
    Value_When_Yellow="1"
    poll_status="1"
    DeviceMemoryUtilization_Duration="300"
    Value_When_Red="7"
    DeviceCPUUtilization_Duration="300"
    Method_Model_Name="1"
    Disable_Trap_Events="0"
    Auto_Reconfigure_Interfaces="1"
    Generate_Redundancy_Alarms="1"
    Enable_Spectrum_Management="1"
    agent_port="161"
    Discover_Connection_After_Linkup_Trap="0"
    community_string="test"
    Device_Discovery_After_Reconfiguration="0"
    mdl_creat_athr="something@something"
    Redundancy_Admin_Status="0"
    poll_interval="180"
    mdl_creat_method="2"
    DeviceCPUUtilization_Threshold="85"
    Enable_Event_Creation="1"
    DeviceCPUUtilization_Reset="70"
    DeviceMemoryUtilization_Threshold="85"
    Create_Sub_Interfaces="1"
    DeviceMemoryUtilization_Reset="70"
    x_coordinate="1199"
    y_coordinate="842" />

Are these are different fields respective to topology? Do they have any connection with "reporting" database ,because I see some of the fields mentioned above are present in the "reporting" database as well for example security_string ?

Regards,

AK.

• 12.  Re: Topology in CA Spectrum.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 28, 2018 05:19 AM

Hi AK,

Topology is a visual representation of how the network is connected.  So the field that would be included would be model handle, model class and model type to represent the model, x , y coordinates to represent the location, topology model name string to see how many containers deep the model is located and the relations and associations of the model to see how it is connected to the other model.

Security String isn´t used in topology except Security Strings will always roll down, meaning the child objects will inherit the parents security strings.

The reporting database does have some information such as model information and containers but these are used more for reporting purposes for assets and availability and will not contain topology information.

We do publish the schema for SRMDBAPI so you can see what is included but we do not include specific topology information such as relations, associations or x,y coordinates.

Best regards,

Glenn

• 13.  Re: Topology in CA Spectrum.

Posted Nov 28, 2018 05:22 AM

Thanks Glenn.

That perfectly clarifies my query

Regards,

AK

• 14.  Re: Topology in CA Spectrum.

Posted Nov 28, 2018 07:14 PM

An older post which might also help you:

More container info